Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove the gas from beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove the gas from beans

We love beans as a Chile, side dishes, salids or in bean soup but don't love the resulting gas. Learned some years ago how to remove the sugars that are responsible for the stomach gas which really works well.
    We use a 1 lb. bag of mixed beans but any will work the same.
    Fill a pan with water and bring to a boil then add the beans and bring back to a boil. Then turn off the heat. After it cools a bit add and mix in 2 tablespoons of baking soda (do not use baking powder it will foam over) let set and soak at room temperature. After 8 to 10 hours of soaking, rinse thoroughly with cold water. Spread the cool beans out on wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze. We portion them in sandwich bags an keep in the freezer for future use.
    They are not fully cooked so they can be treated the same as from fresh beans in your application, cooked right away or frozen..
    The contents of the beans responsible for the flatulence gas are 2 sugars (Stachyrose and Raffnose) which your body cannot digest but the bacteria in your colon can and produce the methane gas.....
    The heating opens the pours in the bean skin and the alkaline baking soda extracts the sugars which are washed out in the rinse step..
    Try it, you'll like them and let me know what you think.
    Alden-Retired

Welcome Alden-Retired

Comment

Once heard a way that was bit easier. That is, you get a big baking pan & spread all the beans on it, then you count some out til you get 41, then you take the beans you counted and separate them in a bowl. #41 you put in a separate bowl. Then you start counting them out again until you get another 41 & you put that in that little bowl until you have all the forty ones segregated. Problem solved. Welcome aboard. Eat good & have fun!

Oh, my wife just told me I mispronounced it. It was'nt forty ones it was farty ones, so never mind.

Comment

• Lowjiber
        Lowjiber commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, you got me there. I was taking a sip of coffee when I read the last line... coffee now on keyboard. LOL

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the laugh!

K

Beans with no gas? Now that is just no fun. Welcome to the Pit, Alden-Retired!

Comment

Thanks for the tip Alden-Retired! Great news for married people everywhere!

Welcome to The Pit! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

Comment

My mom has a similar trick but I had forgotten it. I'm sure that my dad snuck unsoaked beans in on the side, though! I think he used FireMan 's trick.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Indiana.

you picked a rootin tootin interesting post for your first one.

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

What do I need to know about soaking and cooking dried beans? Through the years, we’ve waffled back and forth about the best way to cook dried beans. Admittedly, we haven’t been consistent: some re…

Comment

i don't like this: how else am i suppose to announce my presence when entering a room/store/ball?

Comment

Kombu (dried seaweed).

I have no idea if it actually works, but I toss a little into every pot of beans just in case.

Comment

Beano works for me.

Comment

Just wait until I tell my wife about this trick and where I learned it. If all the good cooking I have done this year doesn't convince her I should keep up my membership here, this bit of news will definitely do it!

Comment

• Alden-Retired
                          Alden-Retired commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So Steve, let me know if it works for. We love em.
                          Don Alden - Retired

I gotta go the contrarian route here. My understanding is that baking soda has a minimal effect on gas reduction and also has several negative consequences. Here's one of many articles that a Google search will turn up:

I've heard a few times that adding a pinch of baking soda to the water you use to soak beans/lentils in, reduces the gas it makes you have. I've not do any measured experiments myself, but I have

I'm with FireMan , just remove the forty ones.

Comment

• Alden-Retired
                          Alden-Retired commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yah, it works great the trick is to extract and discard the sugars,, and baking soda and rinse.

The herb epazote is also supposed to counter the methane production. http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/epazote.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here