Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing baked beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing baked beans?

Hey all, I have an annual houseboat trip coming up in a couple weeks. Firing up the Meadow Creek tomorrow for pulled pork that I'll vacuum seal and freeze to serve on the lake. Generally heat water and add the pork right in the vacuum sealed bag to avoid drying it out. Thinking about adding a wrinkle this year with some baked beans smoked under the butts.

Question is, will they be worth anything if I freeze them after cooking? The boys always look forward to my BBQ, so I hate to serve amazing flavored bean mush... Thanks!

We usually make baked beans by the 1 pound batch and since there's just two of us, there's plenty of leftovers. We freeze in the 9.5 ounce zip-lock boxes. The re-heated beans are not quite as good as "fresh cooked", a little softer, but definitely acceptable. Might have to add a couple of tablespoons of broth during re-heat. My 2 cents.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      REALLY timely!! I was reading this as #1 and I were discussing my leftover beans.

THANK YOU!

One suggestion: If you're going to freeze them(or anything else), let them spend the night in a really cold refrigerator, then put them into the coldest area in the freezer until they're solid.

I keep my little bar refrigerator downstairs at around 34 degrees, pre-chilling minimizes freezing time and ice crystal formation.

Or you could just take along 3 cans of beans, an onion and some bacon and make some barbecue beans on the spot. You don't even need bacon since you'll have pulled pork. I'm assuming you have some kind of cooktop on the boat, just mince and saute the onion, rinse and dump in the beans with a little water, add some pulled pork and barbecue sauce and you're done once it's hot and reduced a bit. It's not baked beans but a houseboat isn't your kitchen either.

Mix up the beans, I did this last weekend with 1 can each of pork'n'beans, kidney beans and butterbeans. I did throw half a bell pepper into the saute and used the bacon from the bacon I added instead of pulled pork. Family loved it!

All credits go to Meathead and some other website, it was a combination of recipes. Definitely not original and thanks to both for the inspiration. I started with the AR Bourbon Barbecue Baked Beans recipe, halved the bourbon, onions and bell pepper, added some brown sugar and substituted two other different types of beans.

Beans are easy and hard to screw up. They're extra-easy if they come out of a can.

Have a great weekend on the boat!

Comment

I usually take whatever beans that have been cooked, chill them out, then portion them in vacuum bags. This way, all I have to do is throw the bag in hot or boiling water to heat them up. As my lovely wife is from Brazil, she knows what she like in beans, and rice too, for that matter. As beans don't seem to cook out as well in small batches for us, I'll make a larger batch, then vacuum pack the leftovers and freeze. This works well for rice too, as well as many other sides and entrees.

Comment

Appreciate all of the feedback! Butts just went on and I'm assembling the beans now. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here