Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I tried out Lady Bird Johnson's recipe for BBQ sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried out Lady Bird Johnson's recipe for BBQ sauce

I finally tried Lady Bird's BBQ sauce last night. I made 3 chicken leg quarters according to the recipe below. This sauce is old-school. It really tastes like I imagine the sixties must have been. I read on another site that this sauce tastes strongly of vinegar, so I reduced the vinegar from 1/4 cup to 1/8 cup. I am a Texan and I like vinegary sauces, but even still, this sauce was a bit too sour and vinegary for me. Next time I'll use even less, and use cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.

Boiling it according to the directions made a big mess of blackened tar on the sides of the pan that needed elbow grease to be removed. As well the residual leftover sauce in the baking pan, it made a sticky mess. It didn't say whether or not to drain the water and chicken fat that came out of the chicken before adding the sauce. I suppose this was something that was just obvious back then. It seemed like adding BBQ sauce to that watery grease in the bottom of the pan wouldn't work, so I drained it off before adding and continuing the bake. Basting was something that I haven't really done a lot of, either. When I stored it in the fridge overnight, the butter separated and coagulated into a solid, so I had to serve it warm when I ate my leftovers today. I thought that was just a serving suggestion, but nope, Kraft Foodservice BBQ sauce this ain't.

Still, the chicken came out pretty damned good. I must say it was delicious. It tasted like barbecued chicken should taste, even though there was no smoke and I made it in the oven instead of over an open flame. I'll have to try again soon. This time, I'll make it for guests. It's that good.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lbj-bbq-sauce.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	98078
    Last edited by Lost in China; July 20, 2015, 11:36 AM.

I think I nailed it this time. I made a triple batch to put away in a jar in the fridge, and I put just over 1/4 cup of Heinz cider vinegar. Perfect! No overly sour taste, just pure goodness. I also think you're supposed to pour off the chicken liquids after broiling, otherwise the BBQ sauce just becomes an oily mess.

But dang is it good. I especially like how it reduces while on the skin and forms a sort of coating. This site is adamant about not cooking with BBQ sauce, and adding it just before finishing. Next time I'm scoring the skin to let the sauce in more.
    Last edited by Lost in China; July 28, 2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Coolness, have to try that when things finally calm down over here at the new homestead.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here