Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago (not DC) Mumbo Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicago (not DC) Mumbo Sauce

Many many years ago when I was a wee lad in Chicago, my daddy used to bring home takeout from Argia B's BBQ joints, and often a bottle of his "mumbo sauce" which is not at all the sauce now associated with Washington DC.

Last summer, I found that it was still being made, and I bought a dozen bottles online. Just now ordered my second dozen. Love this stuff, and highly recommend.

Here is a recipe from Meathead, along with an article about the sauce. I been meaning to try and make some, but haven't gotten to it. Maybe I'll order some up to compare. Which one do you prefer, the original?

Theresa Varga wrote "The Italians may have their marinara and the French their bearnaise, but for many DC natives, the sauce that captures the flavor of home is called Mumbo. Mumbo Sauce is unique to Washington, DC, and is used on everything from fried chicken to Chinese food to barbecue. Here's the full story and recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
      Many many years ago when I was a wee lad in Chicago, my daddy used to bring home takeout from Argia B's BBQ joints, and often a bottle of his "mumbo sauce" which is not at all the sauce now associated with Washington DC.

Last summer, I found that it was still being made, and I bought a dozen bottles online. Just now ordered my second dozen. Love this stuff, and highly recommend.

Which one do you buy? Their website shows 3 of them, Original, Hickory Smoke and Tangy Hot.

Comment

• Doghouse Riley
        Doghouse Riley commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the original best, and I usually add a few drops of habanero. The tangy hot has a slightly different (vinegary?) flavor which makes ir my least favorite, although some of my dinner guests love it. The hickory is my go to sauce for those who like a mild sauce.
        Last edited by Doghouse Riley; February 6, 2020, 06:36 PM.

• ribeyeguy
        ribeyeguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Doghouse, I'll give it a try!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here