Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Raspberry Salsa story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Raspberry Salsa story

Raspberry salsa seems to be trending lately around here, which reminds me of a pivotal event in my cooking journey. So settle in for Story Time with Radshop...

As a self-taught cook who's not great at following complicated recipes, I always experimented. I liked my creations, and my family seemed to like them. But I didn't have confidence that they were actually something other people would really like. And my wife (now ex, herself not a good cook) wasn't very supportive - she would be like, "Hey, my whole family is coming over - are you sure you want to try something that might not turn out? Remember that one time when..." So I would play it safe and make the standard, boring stuff.

About 10 years ago I was new in a key consulting role for a client, and they asked me to join their annual management retreat. One of the things they did as a team building exercise was a group Iron Chef competition - with the twist that not every group got the same basket of ingredients and you could negotiate & trade with other groups. It was fun, but since I didn't really know people, I hung back. And it turned out that the women stepped up and did the cooking while the men watched. Go figure.

Our group made an omelette, which seemed pretty good, but the guys in the peanut gallery were worried it was too plain. Plus the vegetables weren't chopped very well, so there were some big chunks poking out.

I noticed a couple ingredients left: a jar of salsa verde, a pint of raspberries, and some sugar. We had only a couple minutes left. I said, "Hey, I'm going to try something. If it doesn't work, we don't have to use it." I wiped out the pan, cranked up the burner, sprayed some cooking spray and got the raspberries breaking down in the heat. Then I added a little sugar to caramelize, plus some other spices that were there - don't remember what - and then the salsa verde. I let everything bubble until we had a minute left on the clock. While I was doing all this, I heard one of the guys in the back say, "Wow, he really knows what he's doing." And one of the women said, "No, I don't think so." I wasn't sure.

We grabbed some spoons to taste, and suddenly everybody got excited. We drizzled a little on top of the omelette and a little puddle on the side. The ladies headed off to the judges. Then two of them came running back: "What do we call this?" I've watched Chopped, so I knew to say, "Rustic omelette with a raspberry-tomatillo reduction." Off they went.

Bottom line - we won. It was a close competition, and the sauce put us over the top for the victory (as one of the judges told the women). And that was the turning point for me to have a lot more confidence to trust my instincts and cook the way I want to.

If you hung in this far, thanks for reading.

Nice. Glad it turned out the way it did otherwise I'm sure we wouldn't be reading the other version.
    I pretty much wing a lot of what I do, some good some not so. Hsve the habit of not making exact notes and if it does turn out good I'm no better off.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't even think about that - if we lost, would I even be a member here? Who knows?

Luckily it was a jury of your peers. 😃

holehogg Funny, I make stuff better because I realize what I didn’t do, was too lazy to do or didn’t have time for. More and more I’m finding I was too lazy or failed to properly plan for. I’m working on that.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey all of the above and improvise because you don't have all the ingredients.

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, somehow I don't think the actual Iron Chef judges would have been impressed.

A very nice story.

Comment

Great story.

Comment

Good story, great cooking on the fly !! You did mention you wrote this because of the trending of raspberry salsa on this site. I did a search and couldn't find anything that resembled that. Are you referring to the recent raspberry chipotle sauce discussions?

Comment

• radshop
          radshop commented
          Editing a comment
          It was that one and also Meathead's Raspberry BBQ sauce (which I misremembered as salsa). And there was another thread a week or so back that mentioned a raspberry habanero or something like that.

Probably more accurate to say raspberry BBQ sauces are trending - which made me think of raspberries.
          Last edited by radshop; November 7, 2019, 04:05 PM.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          radshop For sure raspberry is one of those things. Sauces, glazed, dessert etc...

HouseHomey Growing up in Indiana, I thought the only way to get raspberries was to make a sacrifice of pain to the raspberry god: brier scratches, poison ivy, mosquito bites, and severe sunburn gets you 2 handfuls of berries. Imagine my shock when I grew up and found out they sell the things in air conditioned grocery stores. I been bamboozled!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here