Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mustard or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustard or not?

Good morning all,
    In all my years that I've have been cooking I have never used mustard for a base on my ribs, and would welcome any input. I've always used olive oil, grapeseed oil, ect as a substitute base before my rub.
    How compatible is the Memphis dust with a yellow mustard base (Heinz organic, it's a Pittsburgh thing).

I just use a little water to moisten the ribs and use a dry rub, usually Memphis Dust. Mustard is an alternative and after a long cook should have little impact on the flavor. Personally, I'd save the mustard for my next hot dog or sausage cook.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Reds fan with a little water. NOT with baseball team selection.

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP being a Reds fan is a labor of love these days (as they fall behind in the 1st inning today). Are you an Orioles or Nationals fan there in Northern VA?

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Nats! Same thing here. So much potential.

In my experience it doesn’t really matter. I don’t see a difference once the cook is complete. I do use mustard as it is cheap in bulk and helps me see the distribution of my rub when applying. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks Reds, Yeah I feel the same. That is why I never used it before. Think that I'll save it for the brats and dogs. I don't want to fix something that's not broke.

Comment

Water. That is the best base to get flavor release from the spices in the rub.

Comment

• Jeffrey R
          Jeffrey R commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, but try the grapeseed oil Delallo brand if you can. Fantastic!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          No thank you. High omega-6 makes it highly inflammatory and more prone to oxidation and trans configuration during cooking. And, spices bloom in water better than oil. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...s/science-rubs

I have no scientific or culinary reason to use it but good old Lea and Perrins has been my go to for all pork and beef since I was knee high to a grasshopper. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it !!!

Comment

• Timbo54
          Timbo54 commented
          Editing a comment
          Like your technique with Lea and Perrins. I'll try it tomorrow on my baby backs. Never noticed any difference with mustard.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s mostly water, so produces roughly the same effect.

• Jeffrey R
          Jeffrey R commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Trotman, I've used L&P myself and I have always had great results. I'm by no means a master chief or chemist but, in all modesty I can cook. You're right on about L&P go to sauce. Good stuff!!

One technique I use is if we're doing rice as a side dish is to do the mustard/rub thing, wrap after 2-3 hours, unwrap after an hour or 2, pour the juices into a pan, then sauté the rice in it a la fried rice. But it's usually a spritz of water then the rub.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great idea!

I use a little mayo works great

Comment

I just use the apple cider vinegar that’s in my spray bottle to moisten the ribs before rubbing.

Comment

So it appears ya can use almost anything. I use mustard cuz Meathead says so. So I do. I do like the visual of it as Donw put it. My wibs always taste weally good, as the ones I cooked yesterday for today (storms a comin), had a sneak taste, much to the chagrin of my wife & Derby dog. Whatever trips yer trigger.

Comment

Just a follow up on my earlier post. I went ahead and tried the Heinz yellow mustard base,Meatheads rub and finished the slab with a east Carolina style sauce. Every one raved about them, myself I thought they were ok. Felt that I have made better. All that was left were bare bones, dirty dishes and empty beer cans. Guess they liked them.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Most of us here outcook the average person, so our less than best beats what most folks have had.

I was pointing out some things I could have done better with a rib cook for family. My step-son said that he appreciates always try to improve and be perfect, but said my less than stellar beat his best ever by a mile. Just sayin.

I never use any kind of binder for my rub. Never noticed and issues

Comment

I tried mustard on my last pork shoulder. I have never used anything before. Next time I'm going to try olive oil. But the truth is nothing had always worked fine.

Comment

• Jeffrey R
                  Jeffrey R commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Attjack, I honestly wasn't impressed with the mustard. Like I stated prior I am sticking with what works for me. I want to see smiles on people's faces when they're eating my stuff.
                  Good luck with the shoulder.

There's some speculation in the PBC subforum that rubs drip off into the coals during a cook. It would seem to me using mustard would tend to accelerate this.

Mustard is a base for Carolina sauce.

Comment

I always slather a coat of mustard on any pork or beef that is being smoked (long, low and slow) at least a day before the cook, but after I've dry brined. The mustard leaves no discernible (to me) taste, but the vinegar in the mustard helps tenderize the meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here