Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KC Canning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KC Canning

Question, everyone loves the KC BBQ recipe and I am thinking about giving it as gifts. Has anyone tried canning it?

I've canned a homemade Blueberry BBQ Sauce before. I used the water bath method with 10 minute processing time. I also added some real lemon to make sure the acid level was high enough since I didn't have a pH meter

Comment

2 good resources: https://food.unl.edu/canning. https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/c...foods-at-home/

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks for the links...

Thanks all!

Comment

I have canned a bunch of stuff. I use the water bath method too. Basically soak everything in boiling water. Then add the liquid to the jars. Then the jars are put back in the liquid for about 10 min. Then lids and let cool to seal.

Comment

KC has plenty of acidity but it also has sugar. I would do a lengthy search to find the safest method to can. Hot water bath is probably okay if you add a coup of Tbs of lemon juice to each jar (which is how we can tomatoes), but the sugar might indicate pressure canning.

Comment

Your local university cooperative (Extension office) may well have a "food processing expert" that might be able to give advice for this specific recipe. I'd be skeptical of a hot water bath for only ten minutes, especially if you live at higher altitudes. BTW, sugar is a preservative. Many jelly/jam recipes with nothing more than sugar and fruit are processed via HWB. Don't wing it, do get expert advice. A neighbor was saved from "dying" due to improper canning procedures only because the jars exploded before the people tried to eat from them.

Edit Add-on: Processing time in a hot water bath is a function of ingredients (basically acidity), elevation, AND jar size. The bigger the jar, the longer the boil.
            Last edited by Willy; August 22, 2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Good point. If the tab is ever raised never consume the contents. Only sealed cans are good.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't think of sugar in that capacity, good point.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here