Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blueberry-Ancho BBQ Sauce Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blueberry-Ancho BBQ Sauce Recipe

I am not a fan of thick, sweet sauces, so I am always exploring new recipes and tinkering with the classics. We picked a ton of blueberries over the holiday weekend, so I decided to try to leverage this abundant fresh ingredient in a BBQ sauce to go with chicken, and I was absolutely blown away with the results!

Blueberry-Ancho BBQ Sauce:
    - 1 beer (dealers choice here, don't get too worried about it)
    - 2 pints fresh blue berries (I'm betting black raspberries, blackberries or even strawberries would work pretty well here)
    - 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    - 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    - 1 cup apple cider vinegar
    - 1 cup brown sugar (or more to taste)
    - teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crushed
    - 3 cloves minced garlic
    - 1 small white onion, sliced
    - equal parts: ground coffee, cumin, chipotle powder, ground coriander, smoked paprika
    - 2 dried ancho peppers (stemmed and seeded)
    - 2 dried morita peppers (stemmed and seeded) You could also ditch the chipotle powder and use canned chipotles here in place of the moritas if you do not have access to them.

Simply add all ingredients into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer for 3-4 hours. Once done, cool slightly then blend until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer back into sauce pan over low heat. Add a tablespoon of honey, or 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar and let slowly simmer until sauce thickens. It should be a consistency thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

I would use this sauce on everything from salmon (it would be killer on bbq salmon tacos!), to chicken or pork. The vinegars all balance each other out and mellow as you cook it down. The flavors come through with the mild natural sweetness of the fruit followed by the slow building smoky heat from the dried peppers and chipotle powder on the back end. This will absolutely be a staple at our house from now on! Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2124.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	530114Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2129.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	530113

Thank you for the recipe. We are a big fan of using blueberries in sauces to add flavor without a lot of sweetness. We also enjoy Vivian Howard’s blueberry sauce for basting chicken. Definitely going to give this recipe a try.

Comment

Dat sounds great!

Comment

Might try this on my chicken at this weekend s competition!

Comment

Many thanks fer sharin yer receipt, been ponderin on some berries in my sace, here fer a spell. now!
          Was jus lookin what Sprout's had on sale, yestidday...

Comment

Sounds great! Can you give an idea as to what amount the "equal parts" would be. A teaspoon? Tablespoon? ...

Comment

• pmorse36
              pmorse36 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, my apologies! That was an inadvertent omission. I do a tablespoon of each. Enjoy!

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              No problem, no need for an apology. Thanks for the info!

I have to try this. Love the combo of chilis.

Comment

That’s quite some brew !!

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making up a batch of this today to try.

Comment

This sounds great! I love vinegar content sauces. Can someone recommend a substitute for the beer for those that do Paleo?

Comment

I love Blueberry BBQ Sauce. I make a version myself. Will have to give yours a try. This spring a large u-pick Blueberry place allowed me to pick as many as I wanted for free this year. I kept going back for more. Yea I picked and froze a lot of Blueberries to say the least - LOL

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here