Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Here Familiar With Orangeburg SC-style BBQ Sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Here Familiar With Orangeburg SC-style BBQ Sauce?

The Lee Bros excellent "Southern Cookbook" contains a recipe for what they call Orangeburg County-Style BBQ Sauce. It's an unusual sounding sauce containing mustard, mayo, pickle juice, and catsup. I haven't tried it yet. Are any of you folks familiar with this style?

Sorry, no recipe--it's copyrighted.

It sounds like a version of South Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Sort of, but the pickle juice and mayo take it into unknown territory. ;«)

Sounds like Cane's chicken dipping sauce minus Worcestershire.

Comment

I actually live in Orangeburg, SC and that sauce is pretty popular around these parts. There are a lot of variations of mustard-based sauce in SC. Legend has it that Maurice Bessinger of Bessinger's BBQ was the originator of the mustard-based sauce. There is also Shealy's BBQ Sauce and an excellent commercial brand called Cattleman's Gold. I've made the Lee Brothers version and it's good- just depends on your taste buds. Eat well, my friend!
      The OmegaDog

Comment

Carolina Gold BBQ sauce? I remembered this video we saw as we were preparing a BBQ trip thru SC several years ago. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0f1pzJkuuA

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          But I have to say that being from Eastern NC originally, we don’t put GD ketchup in our BBQ sauce. That is western NC style and they just don’t know any better. 🙂

I just ordered that book because I'm curious about the recipe. When I was growing up the local bbq restaurant they had the best sauce I've ever tasted. I'm pretty sure it had some may in it but only a little. Not a white sauce.
        Last edited by MikeC111; November 3, 2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Let us know your opinion once you make and use. I’m curious.

I'll let you know. The book should be here soon. I ordered it off ebay.

Comment

ok so I got the book and tried the sauce. The only reason I got it is because my favorite sauce of all time has mayo in it and I wanted to see if this is something similar. Without violating any copyrights I think I can say a few things. This is not an Alabama white sauce. It is a Mustard sauce. I don't like it as is. it needs tweaking for my taste. It has a strong mustard flavor and some harshness that would be fixed by adding some salt and some sugar, neither of which is in the recipe. So think mustard with about half as much mayo with a dash of ketchup, pickle vinegar and black pepper as much smaller quantities to season it. In my opinion it's also too thick, If I were to make a sauce based on this I would add vinegar to thin it down, either more pickle juice, or white vinegar or cider vinegar, which ever you prefer. I would also add sugar to counter balance the vinegar and mustard, brown or white sugar whatever your preference. I would also add salt and more black pepper to taste. I like lots of black pepper. Other typical BBQ spices could be added. So in conclusion it's mostly mustard with some mayo, definitely in need of more ingredients.

I'm very tempted to reveal a recipe from where I grew up in middle Georgia that had some mayo in it. It was much better than this.

oh the book only cost me 5 dollars and some change off Ebay. verses $25 or more on Amazon

Edit. I just had a thought. It's thick enough, if you add some honey it might be a good honey mustard dipping sauce, still needs a little more spice for that though.
          Last edited by MikeC111; November 8, 2018, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for being the guinea pig.😀 I was very curious about this sauce.

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Reveal away unless there is a copyright concern!

I just mailed a rub to Orangeburg....hilarious. I thought the town sounded familiar.

Comment

Reveal away ? well ok just don't spread it all over the internet. This is my own concoction so I can share it. Mike's Georgia Sauce: This makes a little over a quart of sauce. 1 & 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup mustard, 4 table spoons mayo. Mix those together, then add 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1 cup distilled white vinegar, 1/2 cup worchestershire sauce. 1 & 1/2 table spoon salt, 2 table spoons of ground black pepper. Use water to thin it to desired consistency, 1 cup is about right for me. If you want to make it awesome better use pan drippings from cooking the pork instead of water. This is my variation on the old Pig N Whistle sauce from Macon Georgia. It's really good on smoky pulled pork sandwiches. Yall try it and let me know if you like it. You can always adjust the ingredients to your own liking.

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, and bookmarked!

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks so much!

Last edited by MikeC111; November 9, 2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

A few years ago i was in sc for work and picked up a bottle of maurice's southern gold spicy sauce and it was pretty good. I have a recipe from genius kitchen i want to try, will post it with comments when i make it.

Comment

• MikeC111
                MikeC111 commented
                Editing a comment
                If you post it I'll try it ! I'm always on the lookout for a new sauce to try

Here are my results. I like to go light on sweetness so I only lightly packed the brown sugar in a measuring cup. For the salt, I was using pink Himalaya sea salt out of a grinder and one tablespoon seemed about right. I didn't add water at the end because the consistency was already thin, which I like.

Overall this sauce is very good!

This is about two tablespoons at room temperature. You can see how thin it is.

Comment

Looks good! I don't like it too thin either. The original recipe called for 2 cups of water and that was way too thin for my liking so I cut back on it.

Comment

I attended a class in Atlanta by the Lee Brothers…
                  Boys can cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here