Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation of Sweet Vinegar based finishing sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation of Sweet Vinegar based finishing sauce?

I'm looking for a recipe for a sweet or semi-sweet vinegar based finishing sauce. Anybody got one? I'd appreciate a few suggestions .

Thanks,

Backpacker

My homemade sauce recipe is basically what you're describing, in case it strikes your fancy: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...riginal-shawsh

Comment

what is it going on?

Comment

• Backpacker Brown
        Backpacker Brown commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like to try a light, sweet vinegar based sauce on pulled pork. Nothing strong, Just something to jazz it up a little.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Backpacker Brown Sorry i cant help you there. I like a hot thin venigar based sauce on my pork. Wife likes a sweet KC style sauce. I make both. to make matters even more complicated, my oldest son mixes them both together for pulled pork. Maybe like a balsamic based glaze I make for lamb?

Thanks, Huskey. I'll give it a try. I've copied it and will fix it tomorrow.
      Again, THANKS,

Backpacker
      Last edited by Backpacker Brown; May 1, 2018, 05:59 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I look forward to your thoughts! Hope you enjoy it. I made a tiny edit to my sauce recipe that I was meaning to but kept forgetting. I've been adding an extra 1/4C of vinegar and no water, and I think it helps give it an even better vinegar zing.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
      Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!
      Lemme dig up th link to my 001 Sauce... BRB

Found it, here goes:

Mr. Bones' 001 Sauce

Might try some o that...
      LMK what ya think, okay?
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 29, 2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Hey Huskee,

I fixed your sauce last nite and though it was quite good. I was like you in that I thought it needed a little more vinegar (and maybe a little less ketchup). I added about ¼ cup but it needs more.

What I am looking for is a thin sweet vinegar sauce i can mix in with the pulled pork when i'm pulling it.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hey Mr. Bones,

Your recipe sounds great, but as I told Huskee, I'm trying to find a light, sweet vinegar based sauce that I can add just after I pull the pork butt. Don't want to cover up any of the flavors from the smoke but just add a "hint" of sweet vinegar. Any ideas?

Backpacker

Comment

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            Rice vinegar

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking the same thing, customtrim. Maybe even take the rice vinegar and mix in some of the rub.

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve R. Mr. Bones made me think about it with the cucumber recipe he posted

Well, I have an idea that might help:
          Start with what my ma n gma used to make cucumber n onion salad:
          Water
          Sugar
          Vinegar

Adjust mixture until ya find th sweet/vinegar profile yer wantin to achieve.

I find it very hard to match flavour profiles, or viscosity, via this medium...

Might google th above salad fer basic dressin proportions, also worthwhile to google some vinegar slaw dressins, or vinegar based tater salad dressins, as well.

Hopefully, this might give ya some productive trees to bark up!

Best of luck in yer Quest, amigo!

Cain't wait to see what ya might come up with!

Comment

blues hog Tennessee red sauce, is a really good sweet vinegar based red sauce with a slight pepper warmth.

www.blueshog.com

Comment

I got this from a search a few years ago:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar

2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

1 teaspon Tony C's cajun seasoning

1 teaspoon course black pepper

1 teaspoon red pepper

Combine and warm on a stove. Stir well. Apply to freshly pulled pork.

Comment

• Backpacker Brown
                Backpacker Brown commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried it. I like it. Gonna try it on some Q that didn't turn out so swell.

Thanks

The suggestions by Customtrim and SteveR of rice vinegar and maybe add some run. Sounds worth trying. Thanks, guys!

Backpacker

Comment

10 lashes if your sauce doesn't begin with the drippings from your wrap.

Comment

This may be what you're looking for. Bubba-Lina Sauce.

There's a typo in the blog post that doesn't specify how much tomato paste is called for. The book version says 1/2 cup.

I make a modified version that cuts the ingredients in half, replaces the tomato paste with 1 cup ketchup, and omits the water. I also add a lot more cayenne.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've got some recipes and will mix 'em up just to try 'em. Again, THANKS

Comment

Or try MH's Carolina sauce and just up the sugar a bit?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here