Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new sauce (just made it up)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new sauce (just made it up)

I am still planning to do the burnt ends using chuck this weekend and I need a sauce. As I've said before, I'm not much for sauce, but I feel like it's a good idea for what I'm planning to do with the cook, so I decided to make something. I think this turned out pretty good. I guess you could call it KC style, but a lot of KC is too sweet for me, so I wanted to concentrate on other flavors. This has a lot of tang, a little heat, and a touch of smoke. I'm guessing there's probably not a lot of difference between this and a few other recipes, but the inspiration came from several sources. If you haven't heard of Lyle's yet, you have got to try it. It's like crack. You will find ways to use it in any recipe. It's available on Amazon, but if you want to substitute, light corn syrup will get you close.

2 cups ketchup
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    2 tablespoons molasses
    2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon sriracha
    1/4 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
    1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1 tablespoon rib rub, I used MMD
    1 envelope of Lipton dry onion soup mix

I ground the soup mix because I wanted the onion pieces in powder form. A minute with a mortar and pestle did the trick.

Combine all this in a small sauce pan and set the stove medium-low. Stir the entire time. When it just starts to bubble, drop the heat to very low and simmer for 5 minutes. Keep stirring. As Mr. Bones says about his 001, we're not trying to reduce this, just getting the flavors together. After 5 minutes you can cut the heat and let it cool. This makes just shy of a quart of sauce.

If you try this recipe, I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks for reading.

I will be trying this, and getting back to you. Sounds delicious!!

Comment

Man, I like th' sound of this sauce.... an thanks fer thinkin' of me...
      Please, let me know how this cook comes out!
      BTW, old time trick (learned it from Ma, an' Granny): stuff like th' soup mix? I first learned it, crunchin' up Wheaties, or Bran Flakes, fer Morels, chicken, catfish, pork chops breadin', etc.):
      Jus leave it in th' package, an' play rollin' pin all over both sides, fer a lil' while, with a Mason jar...
      It contains th' mess quite nicely...
      (I guess, in retrospect, a rollin' pin mighta worked okay, too!)
      But, anyhow, that's how I learned it!

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I do for crunching up corn flakes. Didn't occur to me for this, I'll try it!

This looks like my next sauce make, thanks for the recipe. I love golden syrup, I use it to make pecan pie, SOOOO much better than corn syrup.

Comment

That sounds really good. I will try it. Thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here