Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distilled White Vinegar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distilled White Vinegar

I've noticed in a lot of the sauce recipes it calls for "Distilled White Vinegar". The vinegar I have doesn't specify "distilled", it's just plain white vinegar. Is there any difference or am I using the correct stuff? I have attached a picture of the vinegar I have used for this. The sauces always turn out great but I'm just curious if there is a different type I could use that would result in ever better sauce.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vinegar.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	320327

Distilled white Vinegar is free of minerals or anything else that will impart taste. So basically, it is tasteless. Distilled Vinegar is also diluted down to 5% acid. Make sure that this is diluted or you will have some pretty strong stuff!

Comment

AHHH vinegar!! This could lead to a whole new thread of its own.

Comment

The vinegar in your pic is the white vinegar sold in Canada. I would assume it is the same thing as what is labeled/sold in the US as "distilled white vinegar" but I could be wrong about that. It is a 5% acid solution.

As already mentioned, the only advantage white vinegar has is it is tasteless. That may be important for some recipes (or not). White vinegar is also very inexpensive. I keep some white vinegar on hand but I generally use straight apple cider vinegar or blend apple with white in most of my bbq type sauces - just personal taste.

Comment

A friend of mine researched this topic as his fish finders touch screen was to be cleaned with distilled white vinegar and he contacted the manufacturer and was told that all venigar is distilled.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Is it vinegar or venigar? Hmmm.

Here's a little more information.
          That page also describes multiple other types of vinegar, good reference.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll check if what I have is distilled down to 5%. It could be that they just label it differently in Canada and this is in fact the right stuff. So far all my sauces have come out great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here