Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the MOST satisfying moment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the MOST satisfying moment.

When we make a shoulder, we put it on top of a couple of pig's trotters that have also been rubbed after being quartered by the butcher. Weird huh? not really. You see, the feet are all skin and hooves and connective tissue. that means gelatin. lots and lots of gelatin.

When we put the meat on the smoker, we put a large roasting pan with an aluminum pan inside it. the kind you use to make the Thanksgiving turkey. and into that, about a gallon and a half to two gallons of water. then, another grill rack, the pig's trotters and the pork shoulder sits atop the trotters. now, as everything cooks, including the spices and sugars of the rub, it all drips into our water pan. and this cooks all night long. Next morning, when the coals begin to cool, we break open the barrel and we break it all down, putting the meat in a cooler cambro to keep warm. it's not done, yet.

but, we DO bring in the drip pan. we are now down to about a gallon of water and delicious, spices and gelatin and yes, grease, in the water. and all that meaty umami goodness. all of that goes into my 6 qt saucier and on the copper plate on the back eye of my stove with no lid. and turn the temp to simmer. it takes about 3-4 hours but that's OK, cause the meat is still cooking.

the important thing is not quickly boiling away the water but, like everything in BBQ, it is about lowly and slowly, simmering away the moisture until you're left with a bit that is JUST right. as I get closer and closer to the pan being empty, I watch it more and more closely. when I am down to about 3/4" - 1/2" of liquid in the pan, I turn it down even a little more. now it is JUST barely simmering. as we let the last tiny bit of water boil away.

you can tell when it happens. the bubbles change. if you've every made sugar candy, you know what I mean. you put sugar and water in a pan and cook and, at around 240 all the water is gone and the sugar starts to brown into caramel. but, first, the bubbles change. where you once had lots of biggish bubbles that were very thin walled and burst quickly with a puff of steam, you now have small bubbles of thick liquid that burst with a splatter. in that moment, you are making caramel. and this is the moment.

because this is the moment when your dripping pan full of water and grease and meat juice becomes magic. there's still a layer of oil on the liquid. but, in just a few moments, when the very last of the water cooks off, you stir. you stir all the way to the bottom of the pan, scraping the whole mass away, leaving a dry space that fills back in. you stir all the way to the edges. and within 60 -90 seconds, you'll see that thin layer of oil disappear. because, like everything else, at 240 degrees, even the oil caramelizes and becomes luscious umami bomb caramel, waiting to be the base of your best ever BBQ sauce.

THIS is the seed from which that beautiful sauce will grow.

depending on your style, this is when you put it together. Remember, this is any sauce recipe you like WITHOUT pantry spices. the spices are already there. and this is one of the main reasons for making your sauce this way, you know with certainty that your sauce will have the exact same spice ratio as your meat. cause ti came from your meat. better, you have meat juices. gelatins that came directly from your pig. THIS is why I use the trotters. because it means when I cook all of this down, I have at least 8 oz, usually more, of wonderful caramel base for my sauce.

when the meat comes off the grill, I will also take the trotters, after they have gone back on the smoker with the meat and the blade from the roast, and I'll run them with the secind drip pan contents through the pressure cooker to get all the gelatin I can out of the rest f it. that gives you a second batch of sauce. but this is the first. this is what I would put on my Competition plate if I ever had the money to do a competition.

If it's Carolina sauce, add your mustard & vinegar. for me, it's the KC Red sweet sauce. so I add cider vinegar, tomato paste (my own if I still have some from the garden the year before) Pineapple juice and apricot jam, honey and a little brown sugar and mix it all together until rich and thick and creamy ad the most beautiful, clingy delicious BBQ sauce you ever tasted.

making the sauce is a bit of a process, but THE most satisfying moment, the most important 90 seconds in the process, is that one point when the water puffs the last puff of steam and the last drop of oil becomes caramel. For the best sauce you have ever had, do try this. I promise, once you get there, you'll never go back.

I must do, many thanks fer th' tutorial!!! Karon Adams
    I'm sure I'll prob'ly have some stupid questions, once I git started, but good, fer now!!!

Comment

if you want to practice, here's what I'd advise. boil some chicken. the first time I made a meat caramel it was when my Darling Tovi was sick. we had to feed her boiled chicken and rice when she had cancer. and every day, there was this potful of chicken water that went down the drain. and I thought, "there's flavor in that. I wonder how hard it would be to concentrate?"

Actually, what I really thought was "I just got a brand new saucier and I want to try it out" but, let's pretend I had better ideas. anyway, I cooked down the chicken water. I ended up with just a tablespoon of stuff but oh. my. goodness. it was a tablespoon of chicken heaven. because I cooked it until the water was gone, I went to that 240 mark. what I had was a spoonful of chicken sear. the yummy, browned flavor you get when the skin on a roast chickens is JUST perfect. but, in a spoon. I started cooking that stuff down every day and collecting the resulting caramel in a jar. because we were having to cook this every day, the two or three times a week that we actually ate chicken ourselves could be enhanced with this delish liquid sear. doing this with your BBQ, what you are really getting is a liquid, caramelized version of the bark on your meat. and that liquid bark is the basis for your sauce.

so try it that way first. take a couple of chicken breasts, with skin cause I want you to see how the fats convert at the last moment, too, and boil them. just an open boil and cook till the meat is done. don't worry, it won't go to waste. let it col and then shred it for chcken salad or slice it up and toss it in the skillet to sear later for a great chicken ceasar.

but then, cook down the liquid low and slow. we hade her's in a two quart saucepan ad ended with about a quart of chicken water each day. I put it in a saucier to cook down and it would take about 30 minutes. this is the best way to see the process in a smaller version before you go all the way to the BBQ sauce. but, in the last few minutes of the cook, stand right there and watch it. watch the bubbles so you can see the change and cstir with one of the little heat proof spatulas so you can wipe to the bottom of the pan.

when it's done, let it cool completely and you'll see, it is a caramel candy. if you cook it too long, it will cool to a hard candy that will be tough to get out of your storage ha\\jar. but, playing with the chicken liquid is a smaller scale, easier way to see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Fascinating! I cook down bourbon in a similar fashion, when making my bourbon BBQ sauce. Git it down to th' 'Goodies'! Then add other ingredients...
        Thanks fer yer helpfulness, and great tutorial. Much appreciated!!! Karon Adams

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          I have seen several magazine recommending cooking down various kinds of vinegars to add to a sauce in the same way. when you cook it down, you caramelize the sugars in a way that simple reducing can't do.

if you make your own bacon, the caramel yo get from that dripping tends to be a much simpler salt & pepper with a tiny bit of sugar and a LOT of smoke. so, when I cook that down, I hang onto it and put a teaspoon or so in the bag when I cook pork chops sous vide. it is my liquid smoke. VERY nice. we hold onto the dripping from everything off the grill. if we're not making sauce for that piece of meat, we hang onto the caramel for other things.

Comment

we hold onto the dripping from everything off the grill.
          As do I, always some use for great flavor! I dunno, mebbe I'm one o' th' last men standing, to have a bacon grease canister located immediately adjacent to my stove...
          I make liquid smoke from some o' th' water pan squeezins, from various cooks, jus' cook it down, mebbe put it through a coffee filter, if it looks like it needs it to git rid o' th' crud...

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            you may be the last man but not the last person keeping bacon grease. I LOVE it. We were talking about Meat pies, yesterday. when I have it, I LOVE making my hot water pastry with bacon grease in place of the lard. and a bit of that dripping caramel on the meat for the smoke kiss.

Awesome posts!

Comment

That sounds absolutely amazing! I am trying this on the next pork shoulder I do. Now off to the butcher to get some trotters.

Comment

Was just reading about how much collagen there is in hoofs, yesterday. Such great timing with you posting this today. I think maybe "the force" is trying to tell me something... Thanks!

Comment

What if you're "hoof-less"? Seriously, I never see them for sale at my local grocer! May have to look further afield.

I am signed up already for 3 more contests. I'm doing so badly this year that I'm ready to go a totally different direction...

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chicken wing tips, chicken feet, both VERY heavil gelatin producing or, in a pinch, just unflavored gelatin and roasted rub.

Sorry for posting twice here. This got me to thinking though, about all the collagen in the sous vide bags, after the ice bath, when doing both chicken wings and beef shank steaks. The things were just completely encased in meat jello. Wish I had saved it.

Since it didn't drop into a pan of water, I'm assuming the need to "boil off" would be greatly reduced. In a situation like that, I'm guessing just cooking it over a low heat for a bit would produce similar results, minus the smoke flavor of course.
                Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 3, 2017, 01:32 PM. Reason: Swypo/auto correct corrections...

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  reading back through I wanted to say, without the water in the pan, you'll end up with a carbonized version of drip. in that heat for that long, the liquid will be completely gone and nothing to salvage. you can get a whiff of the very last of the dripping that way but that was WAY back early days

the gelatin breaks down if you freeze it so it isn't really worth saving if you're freezing ti FOR gelatin. that doesn't mean you won't still get the great mouthfeel. gelatin is what makes a rick broth FEEL rich in your mouths. it is why our BBQ is juicy and unctious but not greasy. what you see as the shiny liquid coating your meat is not oil but gelatin. but, oil will convert along with the skin and connective tissue at 250 degrees. that's why, when you boil off your drip pan, you have to boil it off and do so slowly, cause you want to see that conversion.

alternatively, if you KNOW you have a lot of collagen, like that lovely beef hunk my Cousin Donnie gave me last fall for beef stock, you now you have a hunk of meat that HAS tendons and connective tissue in it, you can use a pressure cooker. because, when you add pressure, you are raising the temp inside, the boiling temp, to 250. that means it all goes over to gelatin. Donnie called it the "Flat of the Blade" from the shoulder of the cow. it's a garbage piece of meat BECAUSE it is all connective tissue. usually sent to rendering plants. but, if you can get it....

we had 8 pounds of beef go into our pressure cooker. the meat that was left was less than a couple of cups aft chunks of meat. the rest was all connective tissue that had converted to gelatin. YUMMY.

but, you have to get to 250. that 'moment' I was thinking of when I titled this topic was that last minute when all the water is gone, the sugars are becoming caramel and the last of the oil converts to gelatin. one minute, there was a layer of oil over the last of the dripping in the bottom of the pot, the next, it was all, thick caramelized sugars and gelatin you can see it happening if you watch closely.

I found my Pork trotters at the Mexican grocery. they have a butcher in the back and have trotters. Mexican food makes a lot of pig feet. if you can't find those, get chicken feet. again, Mexican Market. the other place you can find it is in the tips of the chicken wings. you have three sections. the two close to the body with a little meat and the tips, which are usually trimmed off, that are all cartilage.

If you're doing a cook for competition, you'll need to either allow for time to make the sauce or gather and caramelize drippings from a cook ahead of time, save the caramelized cooked down dripping, and make your sauce from that on the day.

when the sauce is done, if you're keeping it over night, you'll KNOW you got everything cooked out to caramel and gelatin when you jar and cool the sauce. if you missed it and left oil in it, you'll see streaks of oil in the sauce through the glass jar. if not, there won't be any visible. I actually have a jar of a previous cook when we had a little oil left in it. I'll see if I can take some pics t show you guys tomorrow.

Fortunately, there is a cheat! You CAN, in an emergency, take your rub, with sugar and salt and all, and bake it off in some lard. just enough to cook it in an oven and caramelize the sugars. you can then dissolve it in a little water and set it aside for a few minutes to simmer. meanwhile, you can use some gelatin from an envelope, the unflavored stuff, bloom it, then cook it into your baked rub mix. you can also bake the rub with smoke to give the smoke flavor to it. then, take the baked, dissolved rub and the bloomed gelatin, cook it all together and down until the oil converts to gelatin too, and all of it caramelizes, you can use that as a base for additional sauce. not quite as good as what you'll make from actual dripping but it is better than using raw pantry spices. but whatever you do and however you do it, put gelatin in your sauce. that is what makes it a real clingy, rich but not greasy sauce.

if you do this and it does well in a competition, please let me know! I'd love to hear if I'm right!

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and if you get rich on it, don't forget me!

Thank you so much for the education! Sounds wonderful and I will try this.

Comment

Karon Adams, I keep coming back to this thread and re-reading, as I think something is about to click in my head (like when a child first understands 2+2=4). This post touches on so many thoughts & questions I've had about my & others Q, even if not directly involving "that perfect moment".

Please forgive what may seem to be a very elementary question (I can be a bit dense ), but when you say...

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
                  the gelatin breaks down if you freeze it so it isn't really worth saving if you're freezing ti FOR gelatin. that doesn't mean you won't still get the great mouthfeel. gelatin is what makes a rick broth FEEL rich in your mouths.
                  ...I got just a little confused. Is this saying one can freeze gelatin, but not if one is gonna use in an aspic, or maybe you are referring to not using it in the method you have been describing in your post? Something else maybe, or even both?

Also, IF the gelatin can't be frozen, how long can it safely be kept in the refrigerator?

I know I could just experiment myself, and eventually I will. Am already "pushing my limits" a bit, in other areas of my cooking, and have "enough on my plate" for the moment to do a bunch of trial and error here also. Could possibly work some of your knowledge on collagen in though. Especially since I am working more with collagen rich beef shank & such, recently discovered a Mexican market that carries all sorts of other inexpensive "rich" cuts (ox tail, pigs feet, variety of low grade short ribs, etc.), and am toying with some ideas for sauces in general (if not necessarily a BBQ sauce).

Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 4, 2017, 06:02 AM. Reason: Fix quote

Comment

when gelatin freezes, it kind of 'breaks the bubble' if you will. think strawberries. they are great in the fridge but freeze em and the ice crystals break the cell walls. same thing with gelatin. or similar, anyway. it still 'feels' good in the mouth and better than a lean broth but no, it won't set up in an aspic, again.

do this experiment: make some Jello. stick one in the fridge, the other in the freezer and you'll see what I mean. when you thaw the stuff from the freezer, you can put it in the fridge but it won't set up as well, if at all, as the stiff that has been in the fridge only.

as far as holding, theoretically, you can pressure can it to make it shelf stable. but, so far, we have created more popped tops in our pressure canner. it's a matter of finding the right amount of headspace. You can cook down and dry gelatin, that's where the Knox and Jello powder originates. but, in the drip pan, you have LOTS of other things too. and don't ever forget gelatin is the medium in petri dishes used to grow stuff in the lab. you don't need to be doing your experiments in the sauce you plan to serve. that would be bad.

so, I wouldn't hold it long.

This is a great base for any sauce, especially if you're looking to make something 'fat free' if you look at 'non fat' salad dressings they'll almost always have gelatin in them.

for a heavy dose of gelatin in beef, go for that flat of the blade cut I mentioned. seriously, in 8 pounds of starter, with NO bone, I had left what would have started as MAYBE 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of beef. the rest was connective tissue that ALL dissolved to gelatin.

come back here all day, I'm never happier than when I'm talking about the ins and outs and wheres and whys of cooking.

but, don't forget my cut!

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                      TheCountofQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! I won't forget. Sounds like I could freeze a little from a sous vide bag, and add a little when wrapping a chukie, instead of broth. Pour some previously frozen in with a chuckie that turns out dry. Or use frozen as a sauce base then. Just not as jello.

• Karon Adams
                      Karon Adams commented
                      Editing a comment
                      that would work. but, if all you need is the gelatin portion, you can go ahead and freeze your broth and maybe put, say a half packet of knox in with it.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here