Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brad's Tangy, Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sauce marries the 3 most common Bar-B-Que sauces: Kansas - sweet; South Carolina – mustard based; North Carolina – vinegar based.

I start with a store bought sauce, usually "Sweet Baby Ray's" regular or "Honey" barbeque sauce as my base. I then add my additional ingredients, but do that more by the seat of my pants than exact measurements. The list below is what I add, with approximate measurements. Because I don't do exact measurement, I get a little different sauce each time, but it always has the "3 tastes" - Spicy, Sweet & Tangy, 5 kinds of sweet, LOTS of onion pieces and always finished off with a Molson Ice.

- 1 bottle base sauce

- 2/3 cup dehydrated chopped/minced onion

- 2 Tbl spoon minced garlic

- 1 Tbl spoon onion powder

- 1 Tbl spoon garlic powder

- 1/4 cup yellow mustard – about a 2 - 3 second squeeze of the bottle

- 1/4 cup honey

- 1/4 cup agave (blue agave) nectar

- 1/4 cup molasses

- 1/4 cup Vermont Maple Syrup (not Log Cabin!)

- 1/2 cup brown sugar

- 2-3 Tbl spoons of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

- fresh squeezed juice of 1-2 lemons along w/ some of the pulp

- fresh squeezed juice of 1-2 large navel orange along w/ some of the pulp

- 2/3 - 1 cup apple cider vinegar

- 2 to 3 dashes of Tabasco sauce (to personal taste)

- 1 - 12oz bottle of Molson Ice (or your favorite cooking beer)

Mix all ingredients, except the beer, in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring as you go. Once all ingredients are stirred in, and brown sugar is dissolved, I do the "whiff" test. I get my nose close to the saucepan and take a "cautious, but full, whiff" with my nose. If the "kick" from the vinegar causes an uncontrollable "jerk" or "snap-back" reflex of my head, the sauce is ready to taste and adjust ingredients to taste and then to "finish” by adding the beer. However, if the "jerk” or "snap-back" reflex is not as strong as I wish, I add more vinegar and stir in, then retest until there is a sufficient "jerk/snap back”. This is a personal preference, but I like a strong reaction in my sauce.

To "finish" the sauce, turn the heat up to high and start a low boil, while pouring in the beer and stirring - be careful that you have a big enough saucepan, as the beer will create a large bubbly head as you stir it in. Continue stirring until the beer is completely incorporated and the sauce is in a slow but full boil. Keep it at a rolling boil & stir for 4 – 5 minutes, until the alcohol has had a chance to boil off.

Once the alcohol is boiled off (4-5 minutes of boil), remove saucepan from heat and let the sauce cool and thicken. I try to make my sauce an hour or so before I will "mop" (no brushes allowed!) the meat. I usually set the saucepan outside to let it cool off and thicken.

I always use a barbecue mop to coat the meat. I find that mopping the meat in the last 30 - 40 minutes of cooking is best. I do 3 moppings about 10 minutes apart during the last 30 - 40 minutes of cooking, so the sauce will "caramelize" on the meat in layers, leaving a good coating.

The sauce can also be used as a "dipping" condiment on pulled pork, brisket, ribs and chicken too.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Sounds good to me 🎶

Comment

Originally posted by Raider Kevin bbq View Post
        Sounds good to me 🎶
        Hope you try it out and it makes you Happy 🎶!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here