Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chilli BBQ Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chilli BBQ Sauce

Thought I would share this one with you all. Had a few folks here make it and love it so thought you would appreciate it.

Sorry for the metric. It makes a bit over a litre. I usually do 3 litre batches at a time (triple the following recipe).

350g fresh cayenne or habaneros de-seeded and chopped (or 150g ghost chillies, 100g reapers and 100g habaneros if you like it hot)
    (note if you freeze them a week or so before you cook with them, it breaks the fibres down and you can keep the seeds in, they blend up just fine and you don't sacrifice any real heat, this is how I do them, otherwise if you leave them in when they are fresh they are gritty in the final sauce and you need to strain the sauce before bottling)

4 granny smith or similar cooking apples
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup molasses
    500ml tomato pasatta (we make our own from cherry tomatoes, packs a flavour punch)
    1/2 cup apple cider vingar
    1/3 cup worcestshire sauce
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp smoked paprika
    2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup water (add more if needed to get consistency right)
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    2 tsp liquid smoke (I like hickory or apple)

Basically peel, core and chop the apples, cook them until soft with the cider vinegar. Add the passatta, bring up to the boil. Add remaining ingredients stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes for the sugars dissolve and drop the temp down to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Turn the heat off, stick blender the lot and add a little water if needed for consistency. Put some sauce bottles in the oven at 120c for 15 minutes. put the lids in a saucepan of hot water and give them a quick boil, strain and cool. Bottle while hot, and invert them once the lids are on so the lids seal well. I run these through a canner - vacola but they should be ok so long as the previous sterilisation processes are followed.

Ph is usually around 3 with the lemon juice, vinegar and tomato, so is shelf stable until you are ready for it. I usually make a few litres at a time.

Word of advice, the chillies will frag your house out, especially on clean up with hot water converting them to steam. Doors and windows open job. But worth it.
    Last edited by Bumper; December 20, 2016, 05:30 PM.

This sounds just wonderful, Bumper ! Many Thanks fer sharin' it with all of us!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the share!

The chillies warning you gave is exactly one of the many reasons I want to someday build a summer kitchen type building on my property.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
        Wow! Thanks for the share!

The chillies warning you gave is exactly one of the many reasons I want to someday build a summer kitchen type building on my property.
        Many of the chilli heads do their cooks outside using a gas burner. I just wait for a day off while my wife is at work

Comment

Originally posted by Bumper View Post
          Thought I would share this one with you all. Had a few folks here make it and love it so thought you would appreciate it.

Sorry for the metric. It makes a bit over a litre. I usually do 3 litre batches at a time (triple the following recipe).

350g fresh cayenne or habaneros de-seeded and chopped (or 150g ghost chillies, 100g reapers and 100g habaneros if you like it hot)
          (note if you freeze them a week or so before you cook with them, it breaks the fibres down and you can keep the seeds in, they blend up just fine and you don't sacrifice any real heat, this is how I do them, otherwise if you leave them in when they are fresh they are gritty in the final sauce and you need to strain the sauce before bottling)

4 granny smith or similar cooking apples
          1/3 cup lemon juice
          1/2 cup molasses
          500ml tomato pasatta (we make our own from cherry tomatoes, packs a flavour punch)
          1/2 cup apple cider vingar
          1/3 cup worcestshire sauce
          1/2 cup tomato paste
          2 tsp onion powder
          2 tsp garlic powder
          2 tsp smoked paprika
          2 tsp salt
          3/4 cup water (add more if needed to get consistency right)
          1 1/2 cups brown sugar
          2 tsp liquid smoke (I like hickory or apple)

Basically peel, core and chop the apples, cook them until soft with the cider vinegar. Add the passatta, bring up to the boil. Add remaining ingredients stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes for the sugars dissolve and drop the temp down to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Turn the heat off, stick blender the lot and add a little water if needed for consistency. Put some sauce bottles in the oven at 120c for 15 minutes. put the lids in a saucepan of hot water and give them a quick boil, strain and cool. Bottle while hot, and invert them once the lids are on so the lids seal well. I run these through a canner - vacola but they should be ok so long as the previous sterilisation processes are followed.

Ph is usually around 3 with the lemon juice, vinegar and tomato, so is shelf stable until you are ready for it. I usually make a few litres at a time.

Word of advice, the chillies will frag your house out, especially on clean up with hot water converting them to steam. Doors and windows open job. But worth it.
          Would you mind sharing your pasatta recipe? Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here