Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sauce pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sauce pics

I found some pics, some not so great, but pics for the saucemaking process.

start by cooking down the drip pan to caramel. cook until most of the water is gone. you'll know when that happens because your bubbles will become larger, slower to burst and thicker instead of fast, quick to burst and steamy.
    then, a few tablespoons of the caramel base, add your other ingredients and stir to combine flavors. makes a marvelous accompaniment to your meat.

simple recipe:

amounts and spices are not listed here for a couple of reasons. first, spices. I prefer mine cooked with the meat and i find that adjusting the amount of caramel made from drippings is the best, most balanced way to adjust spices. Some people make sauce from pantry spices, straight from the jar. I prefer my spices cooked, preferably with the smoke BUT, if you run out, you can always use your rub mix. if, like me, you prefer the spices cooked, toss in a tablespoon or so of bacon grease and cook it with the rub mix like you would fat & flour to make a roux.

the rest of the ingredients are always adjusted to taste but, generally in equal parts. or so.

sorry, I'm not great about writing down measurements, especially with something like this which must be adjusted every time you make it, depending on your available ingredients and your taste of the day. it's more of a technique. as such, you can personalize it to make just what you like.

a couple of tablespoons of your cooked down caramel
    acid: vinegar, wine, acidic fruit juice, lemon juice. this can be added to the pot if you have good caramel for your pot or use it to deglaze your drip pan of fond and caramel in the pan.
    6 oz tomato paste
    2 sweets: I like brown sugar, honey, agave syrup, white sugar, palm sugar, Mexican cane cake. I usually use a dry and a wet.
    a fruit: you can use juice, I usually go for my fruit juice concentrates, here again. if you go with a jam or preserve, remember to adjust your sweet amount to compensate
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 05 29 003 sauce.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	215860 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 05 29 004 sauce.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	215861 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 05 29 005 sauce.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	215862 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 05 29 006 making sauce.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	215863 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 05 29 008 jarred sauce.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	215865 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled Pork on the grill 2015 11 22 001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	215866 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled Pork 2015 11 22 001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	215867
    Attached Files

A great post Karon.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I hope someone can make use of it.

another thing, if you are making caramel from drippings, they can be used as a base for any style of sauce. think about it. the purpose of the sauce is to accentuate the flavor of the meat AND to replace moisture. so, whatever style you use, mine is loosely KC tomato style, you can start with the original caramel and go in any direction.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here