Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubb's BBQ Sauce Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stubb's BBQ Sauce Recipe

For you Central Texas Pit Hounds, here is a recipe I found on the web that is supposed to be a copycat of Stubb's BBQ Sauce. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Anybody else try this recipe? Or have a Stubb's recipe?

Stubb's Original BBQ sauce

Ingredients:
    • 16 oz tomato puree
    • 1/4 cup + 1 Tsp white sugar
    • 1/4 cup white vinegar
    • 1 Tbl molasses
    • 1 Tsp brown sugar
    • 1/4 Tsp onion powder
    • 1/4 Tsp sweet Hungarian paprika
    • 1/4 Tsp garlic powder
    • 1/2 Tsp chili powder (Guajillo peppers and cumin)
    • 1/2 Tbl dilute liquid smoke
    • 1/4-1/2 Tsp cayenne pepper
    • 1/8 Tsp celery seed
    • salt
    • black pepper, coarsely cracked

Recipe:

Combine the above ingredients in a non-reactive sauce pan. Adjust for salt, and add a fair amount of pepper. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil, cut the heat and simmer slowly until the sauce is slightly thick.

Notes:
    • Re-hydrated tomato paste can be substituted for tomato puree. Place a level 2/3 cup of tomato paste into a 2 cup Pyrex measuring glass, add enough water to bring the liquid to 16 oz, then use a stick blendor to combine.
    • The term "dilute liquid smoke" refers to the amount of water in the product. If the label indicates that water is first ingredient, it is "dilute liquid smoke".

Last edited by Stevo; July 18, 2016, 05:04 PM. Reason: more formatting fixes

Definitely going to try it.

Comment

I made this recipe last night. I followed it exactly except for omitting the liquid smoke, and using 1/2tsp of ground chipotle powder instead of 1/2tsp of cyan.

The result was a little too sweet, in my opinion. So I added another pinch of salt, and 2tsp of white vinegar. That helped a lot. It was very tasty! Sort of similar to Stubbs. But I did like it a lot! Next time I'll reduce the white sugar by ~2 tsp and again add +2tsp white vinegar.
      Last edited by Stevo; July 20, 2016, 08:44 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here