Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency sauce

I whipped this up tonight for some leftover pulled pork (the one from the Rainy Day story, some of it went into enchiladas last night the last of it went for sammie and platters tonight).

Poured some apple cider vinegar in a sauce pan, added chili powder, ground sage, some rub from the cook, a bit of Montreal Steak seasoning (lots of bold pepper flavor), a fair bit of molasses, and a touch of maple syrup. Simmered a bit to let it reduce so it wasn't quite as thin as a Carolina sauce but still not as thick as what you get from the store.

That was basically the same sauce I made the day of the cook but without the drippings. Was quite tangy (could probably cut that with some water) but still had a nice flavor, at least to me and the others in the house.

I say "emergency" because we didn't have anything else in the house and if you're gonna warm up leftover BBQ for a sammie or a platter you probably need a bit of additional moisture.

In any event, maybe I've found something that can keep for a while, unlike the sauce made with drippings. Next time I try this I'll add some apple juice. Folks in Texas would probably add some ketchup but we prefer more tang in our sauce for pork.

I will share this with my wife. She loves making things from "scratch" instead of pouring them from a bottle (except for bourbon and gin, of course).

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny. Those are my 2 "go to" spirits as well.

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Make mine Scotch, thank you.

• Harry
      Harry commented
      Editing a comment
      Scotch is acceptable.

I have a trick to making an 'emergency' sauce if I have little or now sauce and no rub or whatever, when I need moisture in whatever I'm doing, I start with a little water and a little gelatin crystals. that way you have the basic start of a real sauce. Next, I would take a tablespoon or so of bacon grease and fry my rub in that preferable and full on rub blend, sugar & salt as well as the spices. let those cook together for a few minutes, then transfer that cooked blend to a sauce pan with the water and gelatin, and add the other elements of my home made sauce.

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Karon,
      So you put the bacon grease in a pan and then add the rub mix? How much rub per TBS of bacon grease?

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, I prefer my spices cooked rather than raw. it is a little hard to guess. I've never measured it! remember, I learned to cook from a woman who had a 3rd grade education! but, thinking about it, I think you would want a 3:1 or 4:1 ration (more grease than spice)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here