Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed grill (sirloin and secreto)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed grill (sirloin and secreto)

I had a friend over yesterday, the plan was to cook together. He will be joining me for this summers' bbq events, so practice is key.

We did a sirloin beef with a 1 inch fat cap (weighing in at 2.5 lbs), and 2.5 lbs of Secreto Iberico (bellota quality). That pork is insanely good, everybody loves it. We did the sirloin on my Big Green Egg using indirect heat. I rubbed it with Oakridge Black Ops brisket rub, and cooked it at 300° F (150° C) until inner temp was 131° F (55° F). It took a little over an hour. The initial plan was to sear it also, but it looked so good I left it as is.

While the sirloin was resting we opened up the BGE to get that roaring hot fire going. We then seared the secreto using direct heat only. Once done we sliced them all and applied liberal amounts of salt and black pepper.

To match the sirloin I made a bearnaise sauce, it goes very well with that lean beef. To match the fatty pork I made a mango salsa. We also made a salad with sundried tomatoes, apple, roasted and salted pumpkin seeds.

To top it all we grated liberal amounts of fresh truffle on the sirloin beef. Man, that is some good stuff! Food for kings and queens.

The raw sirloin

​
    Sirloin done

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sirloin_done.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	455528

Sirloin sliced

Name:	Sirloin_slice.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	455529

Getting the BGE sear-iously hot

Name:	Fire.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	455522

The raw secreto

Name:	Secreto_raw.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	455521

Secreto, sliced, salted, peppered. Just dig in

Name:	Secreto_slice.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	455526

Here's the mango salsa, always a classic

Name:	mangosalsa.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	455523

The salad

Name:	salad.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	455525

Roasting pumpkin seeds

Name:	pumpkinseeds.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	455524

And the fresh truffle

Name:	Truffle.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	455527

Everything looks amazing Henrik. 👍👍👍👍

Comment

That is a great lookin' cook.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

You da man!

Sidenote: I googled how to say man in Swedish. It came back "Man".

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha ha! It sure is the same!

WOW !!!! Magazine perfect photos and perfectly prepared food. I’m impressed, nice presentation

Comment

i need to become a visiting friend...

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              You're more than welcome!

Thank you all. I'll readily admit: this was an over-the-top meal, but once in a while it's fun to go all-in carnivore. My friend Calle and I was quite a team in the kitchen, which is good. That means the bbq events we're attending this summer will be a lot of fun.

Either way, for those of you that haven't tried Secreto yet, it's almost a must. It's absolutely delicious. Steven Raichlen writes about it here.

Comment

Got some Michelin stars over this Henrik..

Comment

Great Cook!

Comment

Really amazing looking, and truffles too. This meal would be a contender for a James Beard award.

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Donw!

Beautiful job sir hats off to ya! Good call on the Black Ops for the sirloin I love that stuff. Love the mango salsa choice as well I make a mango salsa fresca a couple times a year that is always well received.

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you! Mango is always a winner! It's great for direct grilling too.

Henrik what a wonderful looking cook!

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you!

Well, since everybody is sooooo impressed with your cook, as am I, you could have done a little better lighting job with the truffles. 🔥 👍

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol! I'll get my act together for the next cook/photo shoot. Don't want to disappoint ;-)

Where's that tongue-hanging-out-of-mouth emoji when I need it? This one's close:Click image for larger version

Name:	yum emoticon.gif
Views:	75
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	455886

The cook looks awesome, Henrik . How tender was that beef?

And secreto--you've sent me on a quest to find some in our rural area. I doubt there is much Ibèrico pig imported in these parts, but I can try.

I tried to find out where on the pig the secreto comes from. From Steve Raichlen's Barbecue Bible website, I learned that it could come from a variety of anatomical locations but resembles a skirt steak. Raichlen says the likely locations are the cheek, shoulder and front loin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PIG_ANATOMY_CHART.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	455885

So thanks for the great writeup and the bit of porcine education. Will we see that meal in a future Henrik Cookbook, Deux?

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; February 17, 2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here