Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retired senior discount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retired senior discount

Would be nice if a member discount was available for retired seniors? I’m retired living on social security retirement and only get paid the forth Wednesday of each month.
    I won’t be able to become a paid member until the forth Wednesday of this month when we get paid 9/28
    Thats the stupid thing about the government wanting us driving EV’s and solar power on our homes, many can’t afford it. I worked for ENRON for 25 years and lost every bit of my retirement during the ENRON bankruptcy so can’t afford EV’s and solar power.

I probably would have put a few more days between posting about my new $3,500 smoker and trying to wrangle a discount on a $30 annual subscription, but to each his own. Your trial membership goes into October, so what’s it matter?

Hi y’all, I smoked this brisket on my new Yoder Wichita loaded offset stick burner. Smoke time before wrapping was 10 hours at 225° then wrapped and took internal temperature to 203° as you can see in the pictures the smoke ring penetrated thoroughly almost 100% through the center of the brisket. There is no such thing as a

Comment

LOL, I think "retired senior" could be the #1 demographic here.

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point!

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope to join those ranks soon.

Though the Yoder was financed.

Comment

Ghawtho Meathead already commented on this. Not feasible for the Pitmaster Club.

Comment

• Ghawtho
          Ghawtho commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks but will let the trial period finish and drop off. I was on here around 2005 think it was and dropped that time too.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Ghawtho the Pitmaster Club was created around 2014

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          C'mon, Jerod. That just means that the Pit was 9 years late. I'd have dropped off, too if I had to wait 9 years for the Pit to show up.

I am a marathon runner at age 66 and can’t be eating much high cholesterol beef. Eating meats high in fats and running is very dangerous. Running with high cholesterol and running 12 miles gets me hauled away in a meat wagon.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          It happened to my neighbor, actually. Take care of yourself!

Oh there’s so much here to digest……😂

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Literally!

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup….some threads are just worth watching.

• Finster
          Finster commented
          Editing a comment
          A lot of meat on dem bones as it were...

MT_Cinnabear sorta nailed it. Whass goin on here.
        Serious citizen- check. Social Security check. Yoder no. All seven of my cookers bein worth a Yoder, no. If’n ya want a discount fer the membership, ok, I’ll cover it. You name the discount. One question, what is the value of the membership to you, as in what will ya get out of it? One good, valid answer is required. No whining aloud. As a lady friend recently told me regarding a differnt subject, pee or git off the pot. Guys, that’s another story.
        Last edited by FireMan; September 13, 2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          Yessir, a nice hat always fits a gentleman well!

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I just had a UroLift yesterday. So, it’s get on the pot and maybe pee… for a week or so anyhow.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm all ears bro, let's hear that story!

Everyone of my marathon races I’ve seen at least one each race carried away in an ambulance. I’ve been very blessed. Their are a few athletes worth over 3 million by nothing but in a running career.

Comment

Let’s face it. There’s plenty of bbq information, and cooking information of all kinds, good, accurate information, all over the internet. For free. Without forums. Hell, Amazing Ribs is the best place for that, and it’s free. And it doesn’t cost anything at all to ask a question at the end of a recipe, or article, and someone as esteemed as Meathead himself will come along and answer it for you, usually within 24 hours, and often much faster than that. Nobody needs The Pit to make great bbq.

But that’s not what we’re doing here.

My question, when faced with the value equation that is membership in The Pitmaster Club, is this: Is it worth $30 /year, $2.50/mo, 8¢/day to enjoy sharing a small part of our collective enjoyment with these people?

And honestly, for some people it’s not going to be a good deal. That’s why there’s a trial membership. That doesn’t make them bad people; probably far more people take the trial and drop out, than take the trial and join. Forum participation just isn’t their thing, or they expected something different, or whatever. That’s cool. No one needs a reason to stay, no one needs a reason to go.

For me, it’s a deal. I get a kick out of sharing. I love getting compliments on my successful cooks, I love complimenting other members’ successful cooks, I love welcoming new members (I don’t do that enough, actually), I love sharing deals I’ve found, and it makes me feel good when I know how to help other members with issues. And the converse is true as well; it makes me feel good when other members care enough to help me.

And even more importantly: my favorite part is off topic. Because I am damn 100% sure that our backgrounds run the gamut of the demographics of the world. Yeah, those demographics are skewed in a lot of obvious ways. But regardless, we’re brought together by a shared love of creating flavor. And through that, we meet each others’ kids, pets, grandkids, fishing trophies, new purchases, husbands and wives, troubles, successes, tragedies, and triumphs. 8¢ a day? Hell yeah, I’m in.

Ghawtho, you seem like an okay guy. Enjoy your smoker, enjoy your running. If you stay, welcome! If you go, well, until we meet again! Oh: if you take any one thing from this trial membership, make it this: slice your brisket across the grain.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan you don’t wanna know.

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca -- That's some kind of European ride-share company, right?

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Ghawtho Do you watch YouTube? There’s tons of great info on brisket all over this forum. However, watching a couple of Chuds BBQ brisket videos could help you speed up the process. Aaron Franklin’s book is another good outside resource. Both of them are log slingers. Then you can fine tune further with the plethora of info here.

Yeah for sure, I can already grill up a bad A$$ sirloin steak now by learning from meatheads book on the reverse sear. I even reverse seared some asparagus, I found a new taste never knew existed.

Comment

Welllll, I'm 73 and I still work 7 days a week (I took a day off last week, first one in months). I'd like to offer senior discounts, but then veterans would want one (I served), first responders (my best friend is a firefighter), women (one of them is the boss of me so no disrespect here), and people with disabilities (I train guide dogs so no disrespect here), and who knows what other group. We just don't do discounts. I'm sorry to hear about your Enron ripoff. That was a colossal bummer. But we are just a Mom & Pop biz. EVERYONE on our team works from home and is underpaid. I hope you get benefit from your membership worth what you pay and I hope you are willing to support our efforts to support you. We try to make that happen.

Comment

• Alan Brice
            Alan Brice commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your service! I love my FREEDOM!!!!!!!

• ssennott
            ssennott commented
            Editing a comment
            I also fall some of the above categories old, ex military, my sons a fireman.once you start discounting the club fee then people will want to bundle the discount I believe you already will stretch out the payments if someone is really in a bad spot. The price is a great value for the information that is shared and the feedback
            You get if your ask for it.

• Allon
            Allon commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John, I know that now. Before I joined, I thought that was monthly. Once I joined I was surprised to find that was for a year.

Needless to say, I was happily surprised.

Now, if I could just win a monthly prize...

Yeah I know it, those benefits are a thing of the past and we didn’t get one either. Some of the retirees during the 1980’s had nice retirement benefits. Those are unheard of now days.
          I lost $880,000 in my ENRON retirement and never got anything back, we’ll actually got $2,082 about 16 years ago.
          Best to go broke and let the government take care of us right? LOL
          Thinking about selling in a few years and live in our camper in southern Arizona during the winter. GREAT winter fishing in some of the Arizona lakes in December & January
          Last edited by Ghawtho; September 13, 2022, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            FYI we don't really do politics here, BBQ brings us together the other can tear us apart.

The way I feel about the Pit makes my first reaction to criticism very defensive. I’ve never met anyone on this forum, yet there are quite a few i feel are friends. They put up with an old man telling about how it used to be and I learn so much from them. If you’d take the time to get to know us we’re a fun bunch. If not good luck.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Who you callin a fun bunch?

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan From one old fart to another, it’s you and I and a lot of others. You’ve got me considering putting my face on here.

Just to clarify on our pricing: When we launched in 2014, the price was $23.95 per year and it remained there 7 years until last August when we raised it for new members only to $34.95 per year. If you were an active member prior to the price increase we grandfathered you at the original $23.95 price. We hope to never raise your price. If you canceled and came back you were charged the new price.

As a small businessman I am a strong believer in setting a price and not effing with it. That means no discounts, no lifetime memberships. There was one exception: A few years ago we offered 3 years for the price of 2 to raise funds to help me focus on writing a new book. It is not likely we will make such an offer again. The book is nearing completion.

Besides my simplistic old fashioned attitude towards pricing, there is the complexity of software programming. Coding our custom membership software for discounts etc. is expensive and fraught with hazard. The less we do with it the better.

To those of you who offer to pay for a lifetime membership or pay more, thank you sooooo much for your support. We think the current price is a great value and hope you will tell friends.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here