Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot edit a pretty long post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot edit a pretty long post

Hi Ray,
    I tried to edit this pretty long post and got this error message:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-06 .jpg
Views:	324
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1232621

Is there something you can do to allow me to continue to add information to that first post?

Thanks,
    Kathryn

Found this on a vBulletin Community Forum: "524 is specifically a CloudFlare error. It means CloudFlare is not getting a response from the server before it times out. You may want to see if you can increase the CloudFlare timeout value."

FWIW, I just successfully edited a short post.

Comment

My thought is it might be too old of a post so it won't allow editing. But what do I know.

Comment

Bringing this back up to the top for raywjohnson and Huskee

I'd like to be able to continue to add results by editing that first post if possible, since the topic is long and it's a sticky.

Thanks in advance,

Kathryn

Comment

Back when I taught web design, here is how I explained HTTP status codes to my students using this popular internet joke:

100 Series: Hold on, don't go away.
          200 Series: Here's the content you wanted.
          300 Series: Go away.
          400 Series: You messed up.
          500 Series: I messed up.

And my all time favorite:

418: I cannot fulfill this request to brew coffee as I am a teapot.

(No, really, that is exactly what HTTP Status Code 418 means.)

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            HTTP response code 418 is the best thing I've learned so far today!

fzxdoc Kathryn, have you tried to whole clear cache thing? That is an unusual error and makes me wonder if it's just computer gnomes.

Comment

fzxdoc

Hi Kathryn, sorry for the late response. The problem is most likely not your system. It is the server taking too long to process the request. This would not be an issue accept for Cloudflare. It proxies the requests and it has a setting for this timeout that cannot be changed.

Your original post is currently about 20K in text. From a size standpoint, that is really small. So it should not be the problem. I did some testing and was able to add and then edit a post that was near the max (100K). 20 seconds or less each time.

So, there is something timing out between the server, Cloudflare, and your computer. I suspect Cloudflare. It could be something on your end, but I would need more info. Like your Operating System, Browser, ISP, connection speeds, do you use a proxy or VPN, browser plugins, any kind of anti spam/virus/malware/tracking/ads system (plugins or on your OS). Is your OS and Browser up to date. Any of these *could* be interfering with the process.

If you have a slow computer or internet connection, this would be the most likely cause. A slow connection can have a very negative effect on the server. If your posting action takes a long time to complete, due to a slower connection, then a server process (memory, CPU, etc) is locked up for that whole time.

And this will create the issue of the 524 A Timeout Occurred error. Note, the error you see is due to there not being a phrase for the 525 error code. I will try to fix that.

I did not see any errors, in the logs, related to this. I am again suspicious that this problem is caused by Cloudflare, not the server or your system.

If you send me the info on your system (OS, Browser, etc), I will try to see if I can spot any anomalies. Please send that via private message.

Another option is to post each section from your topic as a separate post, then link to the post. So your topic post becomes like an table of contents (and is much smaller in size).

Brisket: <-- link to the post.

Beef Chuck Roast: <-- link to the post.

Etc...

You post a section, then click the post #, copy the post link, then update the topic post.

Click image for larger version  Name:	copy-post-link.png Views:	0 Size:	35.0 KB ID:	1237885
            Last edited by raywjohnson; June 16, 2022, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Update. Digging into this further.

The error may false indicator. I.e. the edited post works, but the response to takes to long, and Cloudflare returns the 524 error.

If you get that error again, try refreshing the page and see if the post is actually updated.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Ray, I just tried to update the post. After a long wait, I got the same error message, clicked OK on the error message, refreshed the page and the post was NOT updated. Sigh.

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Next I selected Edit on the post, but did not change a thing. Just clicked Save. Got the same error message. The only difference was I got a "Working" box instead of a little blue circle during the long wait before the error message popped up.

K.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Then I tried editing the same post on my phone. Got the same 524 error that I did when trying to do it on my desktop PC.

Kathryn

It’s the gremlins. Those buggers are messing with everything. I’ve even seen them on the wing of a plane I was recently flying on. 😳😂😂

Comment

• raywjohnson
                raywjohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                Gremlins are... diabolical!

short answer: it’s a bug

Comment

Yep. Something is bungled. I just tried editing that post. I got the same error: 524.

I will see if I can figure this out.
                Last edited by raywjohnson; June 17, 2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you so much, Ray.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here