Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Suggestion] A mobile app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Suggestion] A mobile app

I am new here, and don't spend nearly as much time here as I'd like. That is primarily due to the lack of a mobile app. These days, I am really only in front of a computer for work and almost all of my non-work related browsing is from my phone. This site is functional from a mobile browser I guess, but it would be significantly enhanced with an app. Just tjought I'd throw this out there with hopes it gets some traction.

Thanks for all that you provide.

Welcome! Happy to have you here, thanks for your support.

The idea of an app has been tossed around for a few years, and the general consensus has been "no". For more on that reason, see the topic about it in our Help section, Why Is There No App? (And while you're there, browse more Help section topics, lotsa good info in there.)

Comment

Absolutely fair question but no plans for the near future.

Several members have asked us why we don't have an app. The Pitmaster Club is fully compatible with all devices, mobile, tablet, and desktop, and it works pretty well on mobile. An app would simply be a program wrapped around vBulletin (vB), the software that manages the Pitmaster Club. It would slow the site down and be a

Comment

Someone might want to report the echo bug though

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah , someone should report that echo bug. 🤦‍♀️

You are SO binary 🙄

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          That was a nerdy joke. Sorry.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Binary joke, 1 to count on.

You guys are quick and thanks for the context. While the mobile browser works, it's far from optimal. I also think you're potentially missing out on the younger generations that don't own a computer and use their mobile device for everything. Maybe the cost could be subsidized in some way.
        Thanks for listening!

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I completely agree with you, I dislike the browser experience on a phone. The biggest challenge is probably demographics as I’m old enough to have kids in college, but am likely in the bottom 10% for age of members…at least the active ones. The younger generations don’t tend to use forums it seems.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Get offa my lawn!!!

Most of the time I spend here, which is a lot, I'm on my phone and have no problems at all. I'm actually on my laptop now only because I'm at work outside of work it's all on the phone.

Comment

I only use my phone when I’m drinking and speeding through a school zone.
          Last edited by Panhead John; December 30, 2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            So very often? Like all the time?

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I've found that when drinkin, an speedin through a School Zone, swervin violently, an spinnin th tires helps keep people outta my path, thus eliminatin any unnecessary casualties.
            YMMV

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            LMAO! 😂

Given the processing power and screen resolution available on recent tablets and phones, I find dedicated site apps to be almost totally unnecessary. Now if only those sites’ web devs would spend a little more time on UI/UX refinement, all would be right with the world .

Comment

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
            Given the processing power and screen resolution available on recent tablets and phones, I find dedicated site apps to be almost totally unnecessary. Now if only those sites’ web devs would spend a little more time on UI/UX refinement, all would be right with the world .
            99% of my work on this site, both sides, has been done on a S9 since July. The previous 6.5 years was on a CAT B15Q. I've always thought apps sucked. Amazon's seems slow as crap.
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 30, 2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

One possible issue with the site on mobile could be screen size. My iPhone XS Max is fine. But it's also like s 6" screen.

Comment

Note that often times web apps that accompany a website are merely showing the same web pages in a wrapped "web view" rather than displaying the content natively. So there really is no benefit to having an app at all in those cases.

as mentioned on the "why no app" page, the question is more for the Forum's code writers/creators than on their clients who implemented them for their audiences. And even then, there's no guarantee of web-to-app feature parity

(Source: been there, done that, got the t-shirt)

Comment

So there really is no benefit to having an app at all in those cases.
                  I am going to disagree with you. While someone else mentioned that in most cases apps are just a wrapper, which is mostly true, there are most certainly ways to optimize the mobile experience.

Comment

So, as someone with some expertise in actually doing this... there are a few issues.

1) Does vBulletin provide an API to do the various actions we do on the web (posting, liking, commenting, etc)? If they don't provide that interface, there's no way to do a native app vs simply wrapping the web view.

2) If they do, are there any limitations to it? For example can you follow or ignore people? See and manage notifications? etc...

3) If there's an API and it really doesnt have any limitations then you get to the app design and development. That is a non-trivial effort - it wouldn't surprise me to spend $50k+ on a really good app (and there's no point to a meh or bad app).

4) If the team wants to upgrade vBulletin they need to see if there are any API changes and if so, revise the app.

5) Then they need to test with new updates to Android and iOS which are pretty much yearly.

All of that is only worth it if a) the experience is much better than the mobile view of the website and/or b) if it makes business sense, i.e. it gets more people to signup or stay signed up so there's enough revenue to offset the costs from doing all the above.

Comment

Enjoying this thread. Welcome to the forum from Virginia, lotsa numbers Like others have said this horse has been beaten to tears. I use my phone often and for the most part works fine for me. So entrenched in this group that it would not matter to me if the site was not even responsive...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here