Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is There No App?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Is There No App?

Several members have asked us why we don't have an app.

The Pitmaster Club is fully compatible with all devices, mobile, tablet, and desktop, and it works pretty well on mobile. An app would simply be a program wrapped around vBulletin (vB), the software that manages the Pitmaster Club. It would slow the site down and be a potential source of problems.

Apps are not only expensive to build, but every time Apple or Android makes an OS update, the app needs to be tested and often modified, occasionally rewritten. It is a never ending battle and expense.

Think of it this way: There is pork, chicken, fish, beef, and lamb. One rub and one sauce don't work on all. Just because one website does great on an app doesn't mean an app is appropriate for all.
    If you have questions about how the Pitmaster Club works, click here to go to the Help channel which has answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
    Last edited by Meathead; November 9, 2020, 03:07 PM.

I hate lookin' at the site on my wife's laptop. I'm not even gonna try on my phone.

Comment

Dang nigh impossible to write a multiple picture post with words between the pictures on an iPhone.

Comment

Very happy indeed for there to be no app. I would never want to browse this great site on anything but a real computer. Get off my lawn and all that

Comment

I might as well offer a dissenting opinion: AmazingRibs.com is just fine on my iPhone XS, even better on my iPad mini 6, and still better on my 27" iMac ... and by "just fine" and "better" I'm referring to visibility, usability, and performance. No app needed here, thank you ...

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            iPhone, iPad, and 27" iMac,
            The apples of your eye? 🙄

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            bbqLuv - Applesolutely! Ask me how I feel about Micro$oft someday … 😎 …
            Last edited by MBMorgan; January 29, 2022, 03:41 PM.

No complaints here...

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Come on, "No complaints here..." not even one?
            Hope you and yours are doing well in the storm on the East Coast that is in the news.

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope. It works for me. We did ok. Just a couple inches with this one. Way too cold though. My neices in NJ got nailed.

I would love an app, I'm usually on the go. sitting down if front of a computer is luxury for me. That being said i'll live and i still enjoy the content it only limits my ability to interact a lil.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            You can use it on your phone without an app.

• BBQPhil
            BBQPhil commented
            Editing a comment
            Use a website browser on your phone. Works just fine.

I agree there is no need for an app. About 80% of my use of this site is from my iphone. I will agree with the above about posting multiple pics being a major PITA. For whatever reason it does not play nice on phone.

Comment

OK, no religion, politics, covid or App!
            Good! Let’s get back to cookin’! 😂

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
              Elton's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Point taken. 😇

No need for an app..
            This site works fine as is.. 👍

Comment

Only access the site from my android phone and have no issues. Then again not tech savvy so there's probably plenty tool's not being used by this tool. I get by just fine sans app.

Comment

I am posting from my iPhone. I access the Pit with Firefox and simply keep the page open. Easy enough. I’ll echo the multiple picture posting complaint.

Comment

It’s sometimes a bit clunky on my iPhone 12 Promax but generally works just fine. I’m a much better composer and faster typer on a computer keyboard then my phone, but that’s a me thing. I’m happy otherwise, app wouldn’t matter that much.

Comment

Like a few others, my only complaint when using the site mobile is that it is extremely hard to insert photos into a post while on a phone screen and have them show up where you intend. They tend to jump up to the top of the post and push whatever I have typed down. But I also see this behavior on my iPad, which has a 12.9" screen, so its not just the iPhone. I blame it on the fact that on a touch screen device, when you touch the buttons to insert a photo you've uploaded, the cursor position gets lost, since there really is no blinking text cursor holding your position in the post, the way you have on a computer. I don't think this issue would be resolved by an app, and I've just learned to deal with it.

Comment

• shify
                      shify commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed - its is a never ending battle to post pictures in the proper spot from my phone. I've gotten the hang of it but every now and again i forget to triple check to make sure the pics don't insert above the body of the text.

I still likely wouldn't download an app either way. The browser on the phone works fine and I don't need even more apps on my phone. Strolling over three screens or clicking into folders is more annoying to me than opening the browser and typing in the url

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh yeah shify , ya gotta watch rose pics on the phone. They sometimes git away from ya on the phone. That’s when I say dag nabbit & just let it ride.

Works great on this old tablet. Have not tried on phone yet. No need...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here