Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: 2 NEW Articles: " How To Sharpen A Knife" & "Everythign You Need To Know About Knives"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: 2 NEW Articles: " How To Sharpen A Knife" & "Everythign You Need To Know About Knives"

For this sneak peak we have a new article on how to hone and sharpen your knives. A sharpe knife is key in the kitchen or around the pit. Knowing how to hone and sharpen your knives is always a useful skill to have. Check it out!

How To Hone and Sharpen A Knife, by Dave Joachim
    https://amazingribs.com/bbq-grilling...-sharpen-knife
    Click image for larger version  Name:	gw_honing_steel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.4 KB ID:	753869Click image for larger version  Name:	sharpening_stones.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	753870

Everything You Need To Know About Knives! by Dave Joachim
    Buying a new knife? Wondering what is VG-10 steel? How do you hold a chef's knife? How do you clean one? How do you hone and sharpen a knife? Get incisive answers to these sharp questions and more in our ultimate guide to knives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	takeda-aogami-knife-hero.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	756661Click image for larger version

Name:	knife_illustration_0.png
Views:	457
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	756662

Thanks for posting. Just to clarify, we are pulling the knife across the stone with our right hand to start, left to right, and the blade is on the left side. Correct?

Comment

Spinaker thanks for the heads up. I would like to point to the September-October "Cooks Illustrated" magazine where they tested numerous honing steels. A good honing steel can keep a good knife sharp for much longer between sharpening. But it has to be a good one.

As far as sharpening I have a Chef's Choice 120 electric to sharpen and hone my 20 plus kitchen knives. I have a 6 month schedule to sharpen all my knives +//-. Some get used more some get used less. I only use wood cutting boards.

Comment

Nice article. Given some in my family that don’t know the difference between a serrated versus a straight blade, I tend to use cheap knives and use a honing steel often to help keep them sharp.

Comment

Read this past Saturday. Good read with great info.

Comment

The technique is very important when sharing something. I've seen too many people ruining good knives because they didn't know what they were doing. It's normal to don't know what to do and you should take them to a professional like https://www.silveredgesharpening.com/ in order to avoid any kind of damage. Or, you can start learning how to do it by picking up a cheap knife that you have, that you don't care much about. It's not that difficult, to be honest, you just need good technique. Make sure that you're going to post the results, because I'm really curious about this
            Last edited by neredryn; September 18, 2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              If you are for real, I apologize in advance, but we get a lot of spammers trying to sneak in by posting on old threads. So, if you are truly interested in what this site has to offer because you like to grill and/or BBQ, welcome and tell us what you are cooking on and what you like to cook.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Especially if you are sharpening "The Sword of Scone!"

Nice avatar, but me thinks the name says it all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here