Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Gear Review- Perfect Draft BBQ Blower 2.0, by Greg Rempe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Gear Review- Perfect Draft BBQ Blower 2.0, by Greg Rempe

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that will end up on the free site BEFORE they get advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Perfect Draft BBQ Blower, by Greg Rempe
    https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...ower-20-review

Click image for larger version  Name:	perfectdraft_blower.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	618085

Maybe someone can explain to me why you would put a temp controller on an offset, I've seen it a few times here. I got an offset in part to learn fire management, and also knowing that I'm going to be adding wood every 30-45 minutes and poking it as needed - that is part of the fun!

It seems like it would be valuable for a COS, but if you have a COS, this blower might be more expensive than your whole smoker!

Comment

I am with PBCDad I like the challenge of managing the fire, that is the fun part. This is interesting though, it would certainly be useful if you had to run the stick burner but could not take the time to manage the temps........

Comment

The problem with managing the fire for hours on end is the beer consumption... I have a nice offset, and I do like playing with fire, but since I bought a pellet smoker...my offset is getting very lonely...

Comment

I'm of the mindset that if you need a controller with your stick burner, you really don't want a stick burner.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly.

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            What Huskee said!

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Might as well by a KBQ

I could see the use for this.. I do whole hog cooks in the summer.. put the pig on at 3pm to serve at noon the next day..it would be great to fill cooker with charcoal and go to bed without running to the cooker in the morning to see how it looks.. like stevo said "beer consumtion is a factor" Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170826_095247756.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	618282

Comment

A comp team using a stick burner would find this useful to get some sleep on overnight cooks. Also, this could be handy on a stick burner for catering or fundraiser events when cooking a lot of food and too busy to keep on eye on everything. You would probably need to supplement the fire with charcoal in addition to the wood to get a longer cook at a steady temp.

Comment

I got one for Christmas and I love it! Wood consumption goes way down, smoke is sweet and I can go play six holes on my golf sim and drink only one beer. I also got a fire basket which makes quite a difference in fire quality. One tablespoon of fire starter on the front edge and this blower commences a flame front that marches through the fuel basket. One drawback is that if the fire is too large the blower, though shut down in response to the temperature, lets a lot of air flow in through the blower air passage...in other words, the blower does not have either of an automatic or manual damper...looking at sticky plastic sheet to provide a damper when needed. A new process of control to learn, familiarize and deploy. My Thermoworks Smoke sends me temps on wifi...so I know where my smoker is headed. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180727_072354.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	618596

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Explain how if your blowing air on a fire at a steady rate that fuel consumption goes down, that's counterintuitive to me.

• ddmcwhirter
                ddmcwhirter commented
                Editing a comment
                I always do use some charcoal plus wood. The blower runs at variable rates. The wood and charcoal, especially in a basket, are totally consumed. This thing holds a temperature until the fuel is practically all gone...that, I guess, is the only downside...you can run out of fuel and the temperature craters. You don't end up with a bed of ash smothered coals that aren't getting air and quit making good heat. So, less wood and charcoal loading for a given temperature, less wood and charcoal be

• ddmcwhirter
                ddmcwhirter commented
                Editing a comment
                continuing: ...being consumed at a given moment because it burns hotter.

OK the pros are really just one in my mind .... good temp control like our kettles and barrel cookers using a fan. Unfortunately I'm with the boo birds on this because the cons are that I don't see how in the world you save on wood (which I clearly heard him say) and have constant draft on the fire which simple logic will tell you causes more fuel to be burned. Fuel consumption aside, you still have to babysit the cooker and still have to feed splits into the fire which is being consumed at a more steady rate.

If you're looking for temp control then again I get it, but it's not some magic box that will allow you to go to bed on a long cook and expect everything to be hunky dorey in the morning. Sorry, gotta give it a thumbs down.

Comment

I have an offset that requires attention constantly (every 30 minutes at least) if burning straight wood, and every 1-2 hours if using charcoal and wood chunks. I can see the attraction of a temp controller on an offset, as my offset has gotten lonely since the Performer showed up in 2017.

That said, as an engineer, I don't see a controller working well on an offset, unless you are in fact burning charcoal or another long lasting heat source. If burning wood, you have to open the door and add wood every 30 minutes, and that is gonna cause the temp to swing all over the place anyway each time you do that.

Comment

Excellent video. Thanks Greg.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here