Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review: The BBQ Dragon, by Max Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Review: The BBQ Dragon, by Max Good

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that will end up on the free site BEFORE it gets published there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

The BBQ Dragon, by Max Good
    BBQ Dragon is a great product that accelerates startup of a fire with a battery operated fan. The Dragon creates a rip roaring, sear-hot coal fire in less than ten minutes. Clamp it on or bend the stainless steel goose neck into a circular base to rest on a flat surface then turn it on and let it work its magic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbq-dragon-in-action.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	604419

Ok, ok, if Max says its good, then Meathead steals it, then IT gets a gold medal rating, ya got me. It’s on my list. I get emails from them & diss em every time. Sold.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I've used mine 3 or 4 times on an actual kettle in the last 4 or 5 years. Typically it's like Max mentions- you're short on time, forgot to light the coals ten mins ago, it's sitting there, use it speed things up why not. But I most often find a chimney works well enough I don't need the Dragon for my kettle.

Here's my contribution to the review:

I LOVE my BBQ Dragon. I have a couple sets of rechargeable batteries, and I use mine to blow a light breeze into the firebox on my stickburner, and it works like a champ. On low I can most often get an all day cook on one set of batteries, worst case scenario I have to change the batteries out once. The weak point of the unit is the clip-in battery door, the tabs are easy to break, and if it breaks it's unusable since it completes the circuit, similar to a flashlight. BBQ Dragon used to send a spare battery door with each unit, but my most recent replacement unit (I use mine very heavily and I believe I left it in the rain one too many times) did not include a spare so I had to email them, and unfortunately they have been only semi-responsive to my email inquiries. I even take it to the bonfire pit, helps get your bonfire stoked up in a short time. It's not just for charcoal kettle grills, it's useful for a few things! Their website even has a few videos highlighting some comical uses.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF I tried to charge mine via the charge port and it seemed to take so much longer than just putting the AAs in their wall charger. Now, with upgraded phones I don't think I even have a mini USB charger anywhere anymore. If a person smarter than me, such as yourself, just used the charge plug then you'd save a lot of wear & tear on the battery door for sure.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - may just be a matter of frequency of use? I'm kind of laid back with cooking these days.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF Guess so. I'm lazy but I'm also hard on stuff. Then I can write reviews on how well stuff holds up (or not). I leave me thermoemters outside, leave them on, etc. My Maverick XR50 has been on for about 2 months straight now, only needed one battery change. Was outside for about 1.5 months of that, rain shine & snow. Lol. Did something similar with my Smoke and of course the E732s.

It is a fun, an versatile product!

I love mine, an have a backup unit in th hall closet.
    Great Review, hope ya git yers back soon, Max Good
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 8, 2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I don't use mine often, but it does get the job done.

Comment

Name:	C8828AA1-EEDE-46B9-834C-4F7AAB0F6F76.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	604626

Name:	91B20825-34FD-44CA-90D1-F26C536FB623.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	604625

Name:	A425B285-CCC3-4D95-AA93-6E13D99D6219.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	604627
        It saves a couple minutes getting a chimney started.

Its much more useful in the chimney of insanity or pushing air into a rocket stove for searing and wok cooking.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          That's just too cool! Like the setup.

I have one and like it overall. I really do like their chimney and that combined with the fan really do get stuff heated up quickly. But I rarely use the fan. When I do need a super hot sear I will blast the coals with the fan.

I also echo Huskee about the battery clip door. That thing breaks if you look at it wrong. I also had one fan just stop working all together but they replaced it for me since it was still under warranty.

Comment

I have had one for almost 2 years and didn't realize it had a recharge port! Thanks, Huskee ! I use the Panasonic BQ-CC55 to recharge the Eneloop and Eneloop Pro's. The Pro's work well. Since I already have 2 Weber chimney's and a PBC half chimney I can not justify getting the Chimney of Insanity, but would like one someday.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I use those batteries too, theyre great.

Awesome Hair Dryer...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here