Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Cooker Review- Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250 Pellet Grill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Cooker Review- Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250 Pellet Grill!

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that will end up on the free site BEFORE it gets published there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250 Pellet Grill, by Dave Joachim
    We reviewed the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250 pellet grill which is their most popular mid-size model and rivals the best thermostatically controlled cookers in the business. This premium set-it-and-forget-it pellet smoker does not disappoint, although all cookers have their little quirks, and Pitts & Spitts is no different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maverick_1250_.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	598547Click image for larger version

Name:	maverick_1250_open.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	598548Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked_pork_butts.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	598549

I've had mine for a little over a year now and love it !!! Smoke profiles are it's only downfall but that's subjective. Like the review says, the thing is built like a proverbial tank. I tried to get these guys to get on the AR review train a year ago, glad to see they finally made the effort.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you think the smoke flavor is too mild? If so, have you tried anything to remedy that, and have you found any success doing so?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have both a tube and a tray and have found that it's very difficult to keep them lit due to the combustion gasses swirling around the cook chamber. Putting a few chunks above the fire pot on the diverter plate works ok. I can best describe it as trying to get smoke to work in your gasser, it's kind of a losing battle. Other than that it's a great, well built cooker.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I did want to add that they now have a new proprietary PID controller that they claim produces more smoke then my unit made by Pellet Pro. They want $400 to make the conversion for mine, quite frankly I got better things to do with $400. For certain foods, I like the end result anyway so I'm standing pat.

Just a few great results using the P&S Maverick .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	598569Click image for larger version

Name:	beef ribs 03.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	598570Click image for larger version

Name:	beef ribs 04.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	598571Click image for larger version

Name:	beef ribs 06.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	598572Click image for larger version

Name:	beef ribs 07.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	598573Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey 04.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	598574

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I picture if I were to get a pellet cooker using it for things I prefer a milder smoke flavor on, like turkey, prime rib roasts, etc. It's good to have an assortment of "tools" to accomplish each goal.

Dang, wish I had $2k to drop on that.

Comment

Wow, some great looking cooks there. I think $400 is a bit crazy for a PID controller, too.

I've had similar results with my pellet tubes I've tried to use to get more smoke. I have done cold-smoking with them, but found I have to keep the fan going to keep air circulating, or it dies out.

Comment

In the brief experience with my pellet grill, many of the flavor wood pellets as well as Oak give off a milder smoke flavor. The hickory and mesquite have a much stronger smoke flavor. It could be just the pellets I'm using too though. I'm sure these vary between manufacturers as well.

There's also cheaper options on the interwebs to get a digital reading of the cooker/meat temp sent to your phone. You can't adjust cooker temps up/down with it but I generally don't need to (i.e.: my brisket is staying at 250 for the extent of the cook).

Comment

I wish I had a spare $3 Grand for the 2000 model. Sounds like a much heavier pellet gtill than mine.

Comment

That’s a great review! If I didn’t already have a pellet grill that I love, I’d seriously consider a PS 1250!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here