Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review- 6-Probe Wireless App-Driven BBQ Thermometer, iOS/Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Review- 6-Probe Wireless App-Driven BBQ Thermometer, iOS/Android

Blameless Cooking's new 6-probe Wireless Bluetooth BBQ Thermometer.
    $60, comes with 4 probes. Extra probes sold separately. Requires iOS or Android app to monitor remotely. 100' indoor to 300' outdoor BT range. 100% money back guarantee states manufacturer.

https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...mometer-review

Click image for larger version  Name:	blameless_easybbq.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	545226

Looks pretty interesting. Since you have temp test I'm guessing you got your hands on one of these. How well does the Bluetooth hold up to distance and walls? That always seems to be the limit of how useful they are.

Comment

If this thing actually holds up it blows the Meater out of the water. Almost seems too good to be true, especially at that price point. Why only a silver medal ?????

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you on this one. A little skeptical of something like this at that price.

Originally posted by sos2979 View Post
      Looks pretty interesting. Since you have temp test I'm guessing you got your hands on one of these. How well does the Bluetooth hold up to distance and walls? That always seems to be the limit of how useful they are.
      I don't have this, Bill McGrath does, he wrote the review. But I can ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
        If this thing actually holds up it blows the Meater out of the water. Almost seems too good to be true, especially at that price point. Why only a silver medal ?????
        There's a couple other similar ones called the Morpilot and another called the Inkbird, and then the GrillEye, all in similar price ranges, GrillEye being the priciest, that Bill has reviewed. Check 'em out! As far as this one, it does not mention any ability to graph with its app, and Bill mentions the build quality as a consideration with the Silver rating. Build quality & probe accuracy are 2 major considerations with Bill's ratings. You drop it once and it shatters, that's not good. I know from experience the Morpilot is not accurate at hot cooking levels, like poultry. Bill found the same thing, giving the Morpilot its Bronze rating.

Comment

If we can get a couple thousand of us together, we can get digital multichannel BBQ temperature probes for a couple dollars each.

Bbq Thermometers From China Manufacturers & Bbq Thermometers From China Suppliers Directory - Find a Bbq Thermometers From China Manufacturer and Supplier. Choose Quality Bbq Thermometers From China Manufacturers, Suppliers, Exporters at Alibaba.com.Household Thermometers

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

There's a couple other similar ones called the Morpilot and another called the Inkbird, and then the GrillEye, all in similar price ranges, GrillEye being the priciest, that Bill has reviewed. Check 'em out! As far as this one, it does not mention any ability to graph with its app, and Bill mentions the build quality as a consideration with the Silver rating. Build quality & probe accuracy are 2 major considerations with Bill's ratings. You drop it once and it shatters, that's not good. I know from experience the Morpilot is not accurate at hot cooking levels, like poultry. Bill found the same thing, giving the Morpilot its Bronze rating.
            The app from reading on amazon is EasyBBQ app. This does show graphing, thought it seems based on reviews to have some problems. But apps can evolve and improve, more pressing is build quality and signal strength. Does no good if I loose the signal the moment I walk inside which has been the case for some bluetooth devices.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh OK, I should've been more specific. It may show a graph, but it may or may not be saveable and allow reviewing past data even during a cook. The Morpilot's app, albeit a different one, has a realtime-only graph. Not very useful.

If you search "6 probe meat thermometer" on amazon you'll see about 10 of the results on the first page all look identical to this one...I don't think that is a good sign.

Comment

Yea I think when I looked at the Inkbird some time ago I ran into the same sort of thing, clone upon clone undoubtedly out of China. I understand the concern about quality, Bluetooth range, is there an up link via wi-fi to some cloud base, but my main concern is accuracy over time. How well do wireless probes hold up? The wired ones are bad enough and expensive enough, I would think wireless could get a bit pricey.

So sick of dealing with wires and not having anything for my rotisserie. Oh where is the wireless Holy Grail?

Comment

There are many factors that go into a rating. I try to explain why a given product gets a given medal, so you'll have to read the reviews. BTW, these are not "wireless probes." They plug into the transceiver which then communicates the data. Most probe problems fall into two categories: they get water in them from careless cleaning, or their cables are often subjected to high heat or mechanical damage like kinking. For better or worse, Bluetooth is relatively short range, and it varies with the version of Bluetooth. Too many variables to be able to accurately rate their range. If distance is your main concern, I'd stick with units that use proprietary RF communication like the Smoke or the Maverick XR-50 or go with a Wi-Fi device. With Wi-Fi, you can monitor temps (and control thermostatic controllers) from anywhere with an Internet connection.

Comment

I guess I totally misunderstood Bill McGrath , it's really a wireless unit per se, but still has wired probes. That totally changes things. I'll stick with my Smoke and/or Fireboard, I'm just really looking forward to the next generation of true "wireless" technology.

Comment

I find the BBQ Guru to be great with it's pit probe and three meat probes. Sits on a wifi connection and logs data to cloud which is accessed via a web site where the graph and controls can be accessed. I use the Verizon JetPack as a wifi hot spot.
                    The only issue with the type K t/c's is the moisture which causes them to go goofy. Use only a damp soapy clothe to clean and rinse, don't kink them or slam them in the lid , and if they do get moisture in them, try this : put two layers of tin foil between the bottom burner of your kitchen oven on a lower rack, lay the probes above them on the upper rack after stabilizing the temperature of the oven at 175 degrees. Let the probes bake out for 24 hrs. This worked for me for all but one probe. It was had more serious damage. Setting up the JetPack requires some custom settings which I figured out after a lot of head scratching.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here