Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Grill Review - "GoBQ" Portable Roll-Up Grill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Grill Review - "GoBQ" Portable Roll-Up Grill!

The GoBQ Grill Review
    Constructed of flame resistant, silicone coated, fiberglass fabric, GoBQ rolls up and fits in a backpack or over your shoulder on a carrying strap. Read our review. It's not for everyone, but if you value extreme mobility, you may be willing to work around its shortcomings. GoBQ earns our AmazingRibs.com Best Value Silver Medal.

Some pics from the article (be sure to check out the full review on this unique grill!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	gobq-air-holes.jpg Views:	1 Size:	325.6 KB ID:	534381Click image for larger version  Name:	gobbq-rolled-up.jpg Views:	1 Size:	203.3 KB ID:	534377Click image for larger version  Name:	gobq-cooking-grate.jpg Views:	1 Size:	183.2 KB ID:	534376Click image for larger version  Name:	gobq-cooking-grate-in-base.jpg Views:	1 Size:	235.7 KB ID:	534375Click image for larger version  Name:	gobq-charcoal-fire.jpg Views:	1 Size:	310.3 KB ID:	534378Click image for larger version  Name:	gobq-indirect-grill-sausage.jpg Views:	1 Size:	305.3 KB ID:	534379

Be sure to check out the full review!

Comment

Very cool idea but sounds like the execution is iffy.

Comment

To me it looks like the inventive idea and the materials were well thought out, but even given that fact it still is a little grill with a center hot spot, kinda as you'd expect. BUT...given that fact, if you need to backpack in to some remote location and need 2 hands for other gear, with its shoulder strap carrying method this would work great in such a scenario. Or as in my case, have a boat that's already dangerously overloaded and there's not room even for a Jumbo Joe. Not necessarily practical for the backyard or even for a standard campground situation.

Comment

The only question being where do you get the garden hose to clean it after each use when you’re backpacking? ;-)

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thinking it's just a dump-the-ash-&-go kinda thing.

Neat idea that I have no use for...

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed

I could almost see its usefulness in tailgating, but really small for that. Out in the wilderness, there are rocks to gather up and make a fire ring, and a small grate would be even easier to carry around. It's kinda the Smart Car of grills, imho.

Comment

I would not allow that thing on my boat. For one, it requires charcoal that takes up space and has to be kept dry. And then there is the problem of fiberglass being flammable and difficult to put out if it catches on fire. They make stainless steel gas grills that you can attach to bow rails and extend over the water. You can also get charcoal marine grills that extend over the water, so any hot coals or ash fall into the drink.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm guessing you could just fill up a gallon size ziploc bag with charcoal and keep it inside the grill if it for a one time use. But I agree, the multitude of disadvantages and better options outweigh the portability of this grill.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't use it in a boat either, I was referring to its low rolled up profile for packing it & hauling it upriver to the campsite in my comment.

• Max Good
              Max Good commented
              Editing a comment
              The silicone coated fiberglass used for GoBQ is not flammable.

Also what is fhe point in maximized portability when you still need to lug around charcoal? Seems to me like designing a few gas burners and using 1 pound propane bottles would be the way to go. Everything could still fit in the roll up bag.

I would rate it as "neat idea, needs some refinement".

I can already think of a mod for the uneven heating thing. Aluminum pipes cut to length and used to support the charcoal net. Flatter net, more even heating.

When I said fiberglass burns, I didn’t mention that it really doesn’t. The hardening resin does. But fiberglass cloth without any resin is, as far as I can tell, not flammable. I have put it in really hot wood fires and nothing happens to it

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Ease of packing. One hand carries a small baggy of charcoal, the other hand carries the beer & meat cooler. Cooker strapped to your back. I dunno, just an idea.

I can see getting something like this. I do a lot of multi-day rides on my motorcycle and space is very limited, so something that rolls up like this would be nice to have.

Comment

Can you imagine how filthy it will get after extended use?

Comment

Wasn’t this already reviewed, or was that a similar product?

Comment

• Max Good
                  Max Good commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a new review.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here