Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW smoker review, Myron Mixon H20 48 Water Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW smoker review, Myron Mixon H20 48 Water Smoker

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...8-water-smoker.

Interesting and nice review!

Max Good , do you think you could off center the fire and be able to have a substantial enough difference in temp to do maybe Ribs on one side and Chicken on the other?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you can do that Nate. My cooker is the 72" wide one. I could have a 50 degree difference in heat from one side to the other easily, and a little more if I tried harder.

Yes we experienced a 50°F temp variance from left to right when the fire wasn't centered.

Comment

PaulstheRibList and Max Good - does that involve also manipulating the two vents? I have a vertical smoker with two vents. It has a smaller firebox underneath so adjusting the fire position does not work. However, if I leave one vent wide open and the other closed to varying degrees I can direct heat to one side or the other. Conversely, I most often want it to be even and use the vents to help control temp. Having two vents is really nice. "Wide open" takes on a whole different meaning.

Comment

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        We didn't try to do 2-zones, in fact we were looking for even heat. However, I'd speculate that moving the fire to one side and opening the intake and exhaust damps on that side while closing the opposite side could increase the temp difference between the zones.

I wonder if you could line up two or three rows of B & B in the firebox length ways, connect a PID Fan controller on each end, and let that puppy run all night..

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
        PaulstheRibList and Max Good - does that involve also manipulating the two vents? I have a vertical smoker with two vents. It has a smaller firebox underneath so adjusting the fire position does not work. However, if I leave one vent wide open and the other closed to varying degrees I can direct heat to one side or the other. Conversely, I most often want it to be even and use the vents to help control temp. Having two vents is really nice. "Wide open" takes on a whole different meaning.
        tbob4 I have not tried to direct temperature with the vents. My smoker is 6 feet wide, so I can just slide the firegrate over to one side, the other side, middle, or run two fires, one on each side, to move the heat around. Call me a purist, but I leave those vents wide open, unless I'm hauling the trailer with a lit fire, then I close them. It is super fun to drive around with smoke coming out the stacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          I wonder if you could line up two or three rows of B & B in the firebox length ways, connect a PID Fan controller on each end, and let that puppy run all night..
          I tried making a charcoal fuse a couple of times in the beginning. I don't know if it worked out as planned or not. I will need to observe it while awake. One thing I see in my Vault smoker, is that the insulated box gets so hot, it seems like all the fuel in there wants to ignite after it gets good and hot. I think that's what happens in the Mixon firebox too. On the Vault or other charcoal box smokers, you control that by choking down the airflow. I don't like the way that makes the fire and thus the flavor on the meat go.
          #AirStarvedFiresAreNotOntheRibList

I have grand plans to build a system where I can set up a fuse of charcoal and wood with non-touching metal dividers so that it could hold temp for several hours, allowing the all-wonderful sleep...but I haven't done it yet.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I can do about 15hrs at 225 with the 22 kettle, but if it has a leak that crap will creep up to seemingly no end.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here