Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt Fat Acid Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt Fat Acid Heat

Salt Fat Acid Heat Is the cookbook that the acclaimed Netflix show is based on. I haven’t seen the show, but my loving sister sent me the book as a gift. I just started reading I am overcome with pleasure; it is not really a cookbook, not really a textbook; it is an explanation of how flavor works.

I’ve been able to taste something and know what is in it for quite a while now, but in the last couple years I just got to the point in my journey where I can look at the pantry and make something, or taste something and know what it needs. This book tells me why it needs it. I remember last month we were talking about beef short ribs, and lonnie mac said to add aged balsamic to gravy... that was in the recipe. And, I’ve been using aged balsamic in my Bolognese sauce for years. We find things that work, and use them. This is the key that unlocks the mind and the tongue. This is why tastes work.

My sister recommended the show to me. I've seen the first episode. It was good. I need to watch the next one.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I watched the first one just now. Great show, but the book is so much more detailed.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll bet it is. They always are.

We've got the Netflix show queued up for some binge watching over the next few weeks. I've heard here and elsewhere that it's pretty good ...

Comment

Thanx for posting.

Comment

Whoops, by the title I was totally expecting some Woodstock or Summer of Love stories. Oh well, food is good too....

Comment

It is a great series. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Sounds great - ordered!

Comment

Thanks for the book recommendation! Just ordered it!

Comment

Thanks Mosca, I new nothing of anything. Even avoided the thread cuz of the title. Glad I finally looked.

Comment

Enjoyed the series until the last episode. A lot of non factual nonsense at the butcher counter made me question everything from the previous three episodes.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed. "Acid" and "Fat" were good; "Salt" kinda put me to sleep. About the only dumb advice that "Heat" butcher DIDN’T give was to boil the brisket first.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Salt has sent me on a quest to find old school fermented soy sauce or tamari, tho, so there's that. And maybe try some miso.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3DAFE89D-AE0E-424C-84E8-9A56E71FC331.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	598049 I’ll be right here if you need anything...

Comment

Just told my wife to add it to my Christmas list.

Comment

I was at a Barnes and Noble last week and of course was over at the cooking section, and had to wait while a couple was looking at a book. It was this one!

Comment

Working through the book. They recommend leaving meat out to get to room temperature. Poultry and roasts for hours. Pretty much turns me off the whole book.

Anything larger than a thin steak will take longer to get to room temperature than it takes the bacteria to seriously multiply. Not sure why you would want to let things warm up if you know how to cook it properly anyway. Then also if you are smoking it , room temp is also disadvantageous.

Comment

I just read the book and it has given me a new way to look at cooking. Great read.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here