Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Cooking Shows??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there were many for me. the reason was mt mother was not a great cook. she didn't cook much at all. she COULD make biscuits. my paternal grandmother taught her so she could make them when my dad made gravy. to us, a bowlful of SOS with a plate of home made biscuits was 7th heaven. my brother and i BEGGED for it! other than an occasional pot of bland veggie soup was really ll my mom ever cooked.

I started a bit of cooking, some a little adventurous, when I lived alone. I had a great job, was recently divorced (weird time in my life) I had my own house and life was good. I was involved in a newly established Science Fiction convention and, being single had some time to do stuff at home. so, I volunteered for a few things. like most, I found a recipe in a cookbook and made it. I did 400 meatballs once. another time I made 500 'cream puffs" had never heard of pate choux. I just pulled out the cookbook and did what i was told.

so, when I was married, and pregnant my eyesight began to change. for someone who spent every free moment with a book, that was devastating. with nothing i COULD do to pass the time, I watched TV. I HATE soap operas (excpet my new enthusiasm for Korean Historical soaps) I was lost.

then, I found the Frugal Gourmet. and I was hooked. finally someone who showed my WHY cooking worked and explained it to me. and suddenly, I became a cook. Many more followed. FG was enough to get me started and to keep my small single income, stay at home Mom family well fed. when I was ready to take the next step and learn GOOD cooking, I found Good Eats. there I learned Bechamel was the sausage gravy I had been making since I was 4. I learned that those cream puffs were pate choux and a souffle was just scrambled eggs. the yolks scrambled with a bechamel and the whites scrambled separately, all brought back together and baked.

Once I began to realize that all those fancy schmany kinds of cooking techniques were only fancy schmancy because chefs used French terms for the stuff my grandmother called cooking. yes, my grandmother was a poor Texas Farm wife. therefore, most of French cooking was in her repertoire just without the french names (or the wine, frankly. Baptists)

so, those two have always been two landmark TV shows in my cooking education. I like MasterChef but the idea of celeb Masterchef doesn't sound the least bit interesting. I LOVE MAsterchef Junior, seeing the future of cooking. but, those two shows were the ones that played large roles in my learning coking. I don't think I watch any other cooking shows, anymore, unless there's one that does an episode on something I need to see.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Flay once did a show w/ Jack McDavid, where Jack made a roux or something, Bobby was impressed by the french technique, and Jack explained that he did like his mom, and she knew all sorts of fancy french things but didn't hold them as all that fancy or french. Cooking is cooking, said Jack.

The Frugal Gourmet.....Good Eats.......ATK......are or were the shows I most enjoy.

Comment

I grew up with reruns and new episodes of Julia, and watched with mild interest a lot of the others from the late 70's and 80s. Good Eats was a revelation that made me actually cook some things. Tender is the Loin, pt 1 and 2 got me into some light butchering, which led to more interest in how animals are put together and using more of the whole animal. Which had led to an interest in breeds and husbandry techniques and more.

No one has mentioned Chef's Table, on Netflix, which has gotten me interested in a lot of different things. Dan Barber's episode has led to a lot of thinking on my part, and a lot of consideration about sourcing. Had I more money, I would be more aggressive about sourcing. Massimo Bottura's episode got me thinking about presentation, plating, innovation. Oh, and life goals. Francis Mallmann's episode (probably the most relevant to the general interests of this group... I admit, I might have broader cooking interests than just BBQ), got me thinking about potatoes (really) and about meats and life goals. The Faviken episode got me thinking about sourcing, again. And I just fell in love with the N/Naka concept, though I'm very seafood adverse.

I don't really watch much cooking on TV anymore. I have been watching Cooked with Michael Pollan on Netflix, but not with great interest. I have Season 2 of Chef's Table to watch.

I do enjoy Splendid Table, though not as much as I used to enjoy it. They seem to be working for a different demographic now, one that is more into fermentation and such. I greatly enjoy Rick Bayless's show, Mexico One Plate At a Time, but moreso, enjoy his podcast with Steve Dolinsky. Might be a bit Chicago specific. http://thefeedpodcast.libsyn.com/

Comment

• Butchman
        Butchman commented
        Editing a comment
        I really enjoyed the Francis Mallmann episode as well as others!

the Food Network has a show in the spring called Man, Fire, Food with Roger Mooring. it is different ways that people cook on open pits and make shift cookers. Also Bobby Flay used to have a show on called "Grillin' and Chilin',

Comment

I'm late to this thread but if anyone is listening the show that lit my fire for things culinary was "Madeline Cooks." I'd be keen to know if anyone remembers Madeline Kamman? She was a goddess to me. I was in college when her show aired and I raced home every day to watch her. I can't remember if she was on PBS at the time, or the Discovery Channel. I still have the notebook I used to furiously take down her recipes for dishes I'll never cook, like the episode on preparing Skate wings, of all things.

Comment

Maybe revive this thread a bit. Anyone remember Yan Can Cook? Little Asian guy with some serious knife skills and some great Chinese cuisine recipes and techniques. He inspired me to buy my first hand hammered wok.
          Amazon Prime Fire TV has a good number of cooking shows. They have the Aaron Franklin Series and Country Cooks. I just watched a episode of Dish that features different chefs preparing different meals. Aaron Franklin made his grandmothers pot roast recipe. Using a oven! Not a smoker or hickory split in sight!

I also watched a show called Smoke and Ribbons. Chronicled several teams at the 2016 American Royal competition.
          I'm not a competition guy but I watched anyhow. Something about injecting a expensive piece of Waygu brisket that makes me shudder! Competition guys would enjoy this show.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Martin Yan was probably the first TV ached that I watched with any interest. I think that the first thing I cooked off TV was from YCC.

Diners,Drive Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. I actually cook thing from his show.

Comment

The Katering Show is pretty funny.

Click image for larger version

Name:	header-logo-girls-225h.png
Views:	154
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	430893

Kate McCartney and Kate McLennan. Making TV for the Internet since 2013. Produced by Tamasin Simpkin. The Katering Show Join food intolerant, Kate McCartney and her intolerable smug foodie co-host, Kate McLennan, as they take a Sassy Swipe™ at the Food Culture Revolution and make a range of vaguely edible recipes.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is HILARIOUS!

Nick Stellino! He always presents a simple recipe with a wonderful story told with favorable memories and passion. And isn't the passion for cooking the reason that all of us on this site tell our stories? He's not a BBQ guy but out of all of them i'd like to hang out with Nick Stellino.

Comment

I watch a lot of cooking shows, but really enjoy Steven Raichen programs like Project Smoke.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                He’s what ultimately led me to Meathead & AR.

• Sgt Tyree
                Sgt Tyree commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack : Hope you bought it. There my be that one recipe in a discarded cookbook that inspires and become part of your repertoire. I believe all cookbooks contains at least one of those however a rescued vintage copy of "Old Mr. Boston Bartender's Guide" lays a myriad of possibilities at your feet.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't buy the book because I'm not into low fat cooking. I did find a copy of BBQ Bible though and I picked that up instead. I also found a cool Weber cookbook.

I started watching Julia back when I was still in junior high 67 68 (maybe earlier not sure) I liked Good Eats get a kick out of DDD
              Bobby's backyard show and I like beat Bobby (one of the chefs that beat him has a restaurant in Issaquah very good!)
              When I do see any of the bbq shows I'm wanting more shots of the smokers!

Comment

Anything with Jess Pryles in it. 😎

Comment

Maybe it was a regional New England PBS thing, but when I was a kid there was a turning point in my afterschool television viewing. I watched cartoons but at about 11-12 years old, I started watching the Great Chefs series.

Great Chef's Great Cities highlighted cuisine from the cities you would think would make the cut. Great Chef's of the World was just that. While most kids were watching cartoons, I was watching a 20-year-old Bobby Flay, a young Emeril, Michele Richard, Mark Miller, and many other chefs I cannot remember do crazy things with ingredients I could not imagine ever tasting because they were both expensive and just plain gross to a 12-year-old.

Fois Gras, terrines, aspics, squab, quail eggs, hasenpfeffer, mushroom everything including truffles made my young pallet gag. But I learned mise en place, deglazing, chiffonade, dice, chop, mirepoix, it's cousin the Trinity, crudo, tartare, and so much more. It made me want to go to culinary school but my parents had other plans.

Even at that young age, I was fascinated by the music, narration, colors, formality, and commercial cooking equipment used. Did I mention how much butter the Europen chef's used? OMG! It took me to places which were accessible only in my imagination, and I will probably never have a chance to visit unless I hit the megabucks.

The Great Chef's series is not easy to find and is no longer on TV but I highly recommend you take a look at it. It paved the way for the food network along with many other shows mentioned in this thread.

Great Chefs® is the oldest cooking/travel series on television and cable, and among the largest. The programs are seen around the world, and now they're available to you here. Subscribe to our channel for daily free video uploads and don't forget to signup to our Twitter (http://twitter.com/greatchefs) and Facebook page for your chance to win.

A young Bobby Flay with Mesa Grill, and recently opening Bolo doing Swordfish Tostada:

Comment

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    young Bobby brilliant!

• Frozen Smoke
                    Frozen Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bobby's a yungun' in that video for sure! I've heard from many sources he is a jerk in person. Unfortunate.

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    well we've (I) all been jerks at one time or another...

I'll watch anything Steven Raichlen and Lidia Bastianich put on TV. I'll also watch as much America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country as I can.

Comment

The first cooking show I can remember watching was "Chillin and Grillin" with Bobby Flay and Jack McDavid. Liked Jack the best by far, probably because he always cooked over wood or charcoal while Bobby used gas grills, and Jack gave him hell for it occasionally. First time I heard the comment, "Everybody just loves that wonderful propane taste on their food."

Today my favorites are Americas Test Kitchen and Aaron Franklin series on PBS. Not much on Food Network or Cooking channel that I will search out to watch. Andrew Zimmern's new series "The List" seems promising.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here