Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Cooking Shows??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved Good Eats and the early days of the Food Channel. Now with garbage like Guy Fieri you could not pay me to watch any of their programs. Then again, I have not had a tv for about 4 years now...

Comment

Anybody old enough to recall "The Galloping Goirmet"?

that was the first one I recall seeing.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I used to watch that show with my family when I was a kid. That is definitely going back aways.
        BTW. Hope you and your family have a happy and healthy new year

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup! Used t' watch it in glorious high-def B&W, (Philco console) like alla th' other shows lol!

• lschweig
        lschweig commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a Zenith console for me and in color, which was sort of special back then. By golly it even had a remote clicker for the channels.! as I recall we in Chicago had all of 4 main channels to choose from.

DDD is just like HSN or QVC - never a bad word. But if you keep that in mind, it's not bad.

Comment

Good Eats here and Bizarre Foods. Heh better food shows on Travel Channel than Food Network. Make a point to catch Booze Traveler. Got to meet Alton Brown at a book signing and the guys I get kielbasa from said Andrew Zimmern was fun to work with.

Comment

ATK/Cook's Country and Good Eats are my favorite contempory shows, but don't forget about Julia Child who invented the format. Also, even though it's a contest show, I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of Pitmasters a half dozen times.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Was wondering when Julia' s name would appear. A bit before my time. An icon though. Did she ever "reverse sear"?

The splendid table on NPR can't watch have to listen being radio

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. LR Kasper is excellent!!

• allsid
            allsid commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome show! I should make a point to listen more frequently.

I'm a big fan of Bobby Flay. He has a series of shows with him and a guest cooking a complete meal at his home where he has a backyard full of grills and other cool toys. I also like the "Beat Bobby Flay" series... not many beat him. The "Brunch with Bobby Flay" show is pretty interesting as well.

Comment

The Frugal Gourmet, RIP, got me hooked in the beginning. Also loved Justin Wilson, RIP again. The Food Network used to be excellent. Loved Good Eats. Can't tolerate Guy Fieri anymore; he's all about himself and his antics. ATK and Cook's Country are great. Not a big fan of Raichlen.
          Last edited by Willy; January 1, 2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I had forgot about Justin Wilson!!! Ya man, he had it goin' on.

• Lowjiber
            Lowjiber commented
            Editing a comment
            A big "Amen" to Justin Wilson. R.I.P.

Bitchin' Kitchen!

One of the best modern shows. As an oldster, I was brought up on the Frug, Pepin, Child, and Wilson (can't cook without my on-yons!). I still watch ATK and Cook's Country, and I am looking forward to Kimball's new endeavor, Milk Street Kitchen. I refuse to watch anything competition related, and although I liked Good Eat's, I think Cutthroat Kitchen has to be one of the worst shows on TV.

I have the DVD from every season of ATK and Cook's Country, and frequently turn to them for inspiration.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree about Cutthroat Kitchen. It's asinine. Also on the competition shows in general. I did used to watch Hell's Kitchen, but realized I wasn't learning anything and grew tired of all the backstabbing and in-fighting. There is enough of that stuff in real life.

• Michael Brinton
            Michael Brinton commented
            Editing a comment
            Milk street radio is really good. There are a lot of good podcast/radio shows out there. Gastropods, Bbq Central, Cooking Issues, ATK radio all great.

For those who enjoyed the Galloping Gourmet take a look at Graham Kerr's very nice website (http://www.grahamkerr.com) and see what he's been up to. He'll be 83 later this month.

Comment

Without a doubt, I learned the most from Good Eats. I also like DDD and Man Fire Food.

Comment

Walter Staib's a taste of history is good. Watching an old way of doing things with historic recipes. The document from Christopher Kimball Fannie Farmer's last supper was great. Watching them use an old wood burning stove. Bbq with Franklin is a must see as well. Netflix Chef's Table and Cooked were good too.
              Last edited by Michael Brinton; January 1, 2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I'll watch whatever Giada is cookin'...sorry for being "sexist"

Comment

Gotta go with shows that actually tried to teach how to cook ... The Frugal Gourmet, Alton Brown "Good Eats", James Barber "The Urban Peasant", Nick Stellino, Lidia Bastianich, Graham Kerr, ATK & Cooks Country, Bitchin' Kitchen, Giada de Laurentiis, etc. I hate all the current "reality TV" and competition style cooking "shows" and REALLY hate DDD.

Comment

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm with you all the way. As for Stellino, my wife gave me his cookbook years ago. It came with a CD of Italian love songs: "when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie..." LOL

• Locotech
                    Locotech commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Willy......."when an eel lunges out, and he bites off your snout, that's a moray"...to the same tune.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I forget if it was Frug or Peasant that I watched who did a veal show without any actual veal because, he claimed, restaurants were serving all sorts of other white meats to avoid the expense of veal. Was a fascinating insight for young me into the restaurant industry. Loved it.

And Jamie Oliver. I forgot to mention him. I really haven't seen too much of his stuff though. A video will pop up now and then, while surfing youtube. Seems to be knowledgeable and informative...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here