Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey Stout Braised Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey Stout Braised Game

This recipe is for the toughest of the tough—goose leg quarters, wild turkey legs and thighs, venison shanks—but it turns them into something magical. There is literally no game meat too tough for this recipe! You will be rewarded with a pile of tender meat that can then be used to make countless other dishes. Some of my favorites are carnitas, barbacoa, enchiladas, and tacos, but it would be equally good for Texas style chile or bbq sandwiches. I often make this on the weekend, and our family uses the meat in other dishes all throughout the week.

This recipe calls for a pressure cooker, which makes relatively short short work of the task. My favorite is the Fissler Vitavit 8.5 qt, which can often be bought on sale, but any pressure cooker will work here—even an instapot. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you could also use a Dutch oven placed in a 300° oven—just know that your cooking time will be 4-6 hours vs the 1 1/2 - 2 hours that is called for with the pressure cooker.

Ingredients:
    • Goose leg quarters, duck leg quarters, wild Turkey legs, or venison shanks (quantity to fit pressure cooker)
    • Onion, sliced
    • 1 Guinness stout
    • Chicken stock
    • Salt & pepper
    • Spices if desired (bay leaf, juniper berry, rosemary, etc.)
    Instructions:
    Salt and pepper meat heavily and smoke at 200° for 1-2 hours. You are not trying to cook the meat all the way through, just smoke long enough to impart some smoke flavor on the meat. Alternatively, brown well in batches with a little oil, duck fat, or lard. Reserve smoked or browned meat in bowl and set aside.

Sauté onion in remaining fat, salt and pepper to taste. Add stout to onions, deglaze pot, and bring to boil. Layer meat in pressure cooker up to max full line, add in any accumulated juices, and top off with chicken stock, covering about 2/3 of the meat with liquid. Bring pressure cooker up to pressure and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Turn off heat and allow pot to depressurize. Check meat for tenderness and return to pressure for 15 minute increments if not tender. Remove meat from pot and pull meat from bone, reserve 1-2 cups of remaining stock.

Use meat for pulled bbq, carnitas, enchiladas, or barbacoa. Use reserved stock as a base for sauce.

Fissler Vitavit 8.5 qt Pressure Cooker in action:

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3654BC6-4B64-48A5-8990-34B11A39A5A9.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1216715
    Goose legs about to go under pressure:

Name:	932C5B4B-B4D7-44F8-975E-0E73ADD217A4.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1216712
    Venison shank after pressure cooking and sautéing in duck fat:

Name:	913FBF82-D77F-4CE6-BDD8-55582743A5C9.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1216711 Click image for larger version

Name:	AF274835-FE62-4375-BCC7-81249BF649FF.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	1216713
    Enchiladas made with stout braised wild turkey legs:

Name:	0ABCD451-AE01-4AB1-A873-7E619662B3C1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1216714

Me likey. Similar to the beer braised venison recipe that I make except I don't use a pressure cooker; I haven't used a really tough cut for it either. I add a lot of root vegetables to it and make it a meal. Might have to try it with a tougher cut and the pressure cooker next time, I need some extra spur of the moment taco meat in the freezer.

Comment

I’m gonna need more bonus tags this November

Comment

Way too many people want to NOT go to a pot with a tough cut. That is literally what I grew up on. Snow geese didn't grow up on a couch playing XBOX.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha ha!

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I had an old friend that was a goose guide. He contended if you have 30 recipes for goose you’re looking for number 31.

Nice touch with the inclusion of the how to with a Dutch oven for those with out a pressure cooker. The enchiladas look killer & with the thought of smoked game, home run!

Comment

Have some red stag shanks i was going to use for ossobucco (in pressure cooker also) in the freezer, maybe give this a try on some (harvested 2).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here