Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enchiladas Verde al Carbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enchiladas Verde al Carbon

Cruising through my local HEB grocery, I happened to see some beautiful flank steaks on display at the meat counter. When I got closer I also noticed they were American Wagyu, and with that comes a hefty price. I asked if they had any Prime or some lessor grade and the meat cutter told me to check the packaged meat section. Knowing there was probably some sorry select grade and something I would probably pass on anyway, I told him to package up a couple of nice Wagyu ones (about 2.6#). In short, I have no will power when it comes to meat purchases!!

Needed to make dinner last night, but the thing about it was I had just made some killer Carne Asada the night before so I didn't want to do tacos again. Funny how food will grab your eye and lead you down some culinary path, in this case Mexican. I hadn't done enchiladas in a long time, maybe we'll do that I told myself. Thought immediately about doing them classically with a red sauce (salsa rojo) with a Mexican cheese mix but decided instead to do them in my favorite green sauce (salsa verde) with a classic Oaxacan cheese.

Most of what I did was similar to an enchilada version I did with pulled pork some time ago. That dish was also done with a homemade verde sauce that turns out far superior then the store bought version.

For a complete write up and recipe, see the link below to that post. The difference here obviously was in the use of the marinated and seared flank in lieu of the pulled pork. I marinated the flank in a cup of orange juice, a cup of lime juice, half a cup of Dale's marinade and half a bottle of beer (drank the other half ) for about 4 hours. Seared over red hot coals, the beef turned out to be utterly amazing. In fact I'm thinking about going back over to HEB and buying a bunch more to stick in the freezer for future cooks, it was that good.

Salsa Verde Pulled Pork Enchiladas

All in all the enchiladas came out great, some of the best I've made. Although at the end of the day the red sauce version may be a little better suited to carne al carbon, the green wasn't too shabby. With the weather being the way it is, here's another example of combining a quick outdoor grilling with something you can assemble indoors. Give it a try !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	enchilada 01.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	986837Click image for larger version

Name:	enchilada 03.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	986840Click image for larger version

Name:	enchilada 04.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	986839Click image for larger version

Name:	enchilada 06.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	986838

Trout is out, got some enchiladas and a Super Bowl to consume !!!

Oh man, you got me drooling over those....
    Another exceptional cook and presentation.
    Keep'em coming!!!!

Comment

Looking real good. Damn, I have not made that Verde in a while. It's on the list thanks.

Comment

Wow.

And wow again.

Comment

My mouth is watering too. Those look delicious. But really looking forward to those Tacos Al Pastor you mentioned you were going to make next. Want to see your ingredients list and technique and look where I can tweak my recipe.

Always enjoy your recipe posts.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            It's coming, I have my recipe tweaks to work through but I've got the basics down. There's so much on my list, plus you see something like above and it screams for you to cook it

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

Well, with cooks like that you make it very hard for an old country boy pining for some good eats. When are you opening up a small restaurant in a street corner? I’ll be a regular, that’s for sure!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              And that for barbecue’s Renaissance man. Appreciate the props brother!

Looking good, Has to be better than Taco Bell.
            Do you accept orders on line? I want some.
            Happy grilling to you.

Comment

WOW!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here