Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Cheese dressing/dip recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Cheese dressing/dip recipes?

Not sure if this is the proper channel for this but after last night’s wing fest with my 2 knucklehead boys, I’m in search of a different blue cheese dressing. Maybe I’m just wanting confirmation that the grass isn’t greener, cause this recipe has served me well. Regardless, I love a tangy blue cheese on my spicy(ish) wings, wedge salad and steak(just the cheese).

Who has a killer recipe? The one I use is below, from the inter webs, so it’s not original. I can’t recall the site or I’d credit it.

Blue Cheese dressing/dip

1 Tablespoon half-n-half
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 cup mayonnaise (rec. Duke’s)
    3/4 cup sour cream (or full fat greek yogurt)
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, adjust to your taste
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    3 1/2 ounces blue cheese crumbled
    1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar

Directions:

Stir together half-n-half and lemon juice in a small bowl, set aside.
    In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together mayo and sour cream until combined. Add sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mix again.
    Add blue cheese, soured milk (from step 1), and vinegar. Whisk to combine.
    Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Note: I use buttermilk instead of half/half and lemon juice. Same quantity.

Here is my recipe:

ingredients
    1 block of maytag blue cheese or gorgonzola

directions
    unwrap and put on ANYTHING. PBJ and blue cheese, yup. Black and blue burger, you betcha. Added to horseradish sauce for roast, of course. On a regular saltine, yes please...

Comment

Try this.
      Can't claim the recipe. This one is from some guy named "Ken" (if that's even his real name)

Click image for larger version  Name:	GUEST_48c21aa7-ac17-4e7c-98a6-b3c0266c10ee?wid=325&hei=325&qlt=80&fmt=pjpeg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.4 KB ID:	1186255

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Try the lighthouse chunky blue cheese dressing. Will be in the refrigerated foods. Always have a bottle on hand.

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        😂😂

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear that "Newman" guy’s a little sketchy too….

Variation: try some cambozola instead of the traditional bleu you normally use.

Comment

Keep it on hand too. Love it straight on crostinis. WillTravelForFood sometimes on hot roast beef sammiches, or burgers, steak...awe hail see above same catigory.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by texastweeter; March 8, 2022, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
          WillTravelForFood commented
          Editing a comment
          We like the Cambozola because its not as Bleu as a full bleu, so works great as an accessory. might not be as tasty in a dip where it would be a more primary flavor

Then again, there's always ranch....

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          WillTravelForFood "Then again, there's always ranch...."
          Ranch is an abomination.

And I am the only one here who likes Blue Cheese. 😥

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I love it

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, you’re not alone, love the blue cheese.

I think the recipe I use is

3-4oz bleu cheese
        1/2 C buttermilk
        1/2 C mayo
        1/2/C sour cream
        Juice of 1 lemon
        S&P

smash bleu cheese in bowl with whisk. Add remaining ingredients, stir and season. A nice addition would be minced fines herbs but doubtful most of us have all those fresh herbs on hand

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds kind of like my Grandma's recipe--she owned a restaurant. I'm pretty sure her recipe include Worcester and maybe a dash of Tabasco, and maybe not the lemon, but I'm going to try something based on this. She definitely has sour cream in it. Haven't thought about her recipe for a while, and it was good.

My go to blue cheese dip for buffalo wings.
        • 8 oz Blue Cheese
        • 8 oz Sour Cream
        • 3-4 Roasted Garlic Cloves
        • ¼ Bunch Cilantro
        • ¼ Red Onion

Blend cilantro, garlic, and onion to extra fine consistency. Add blue cheese and sour cream and blend until mixed.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the roasted garlic addition, amps up the savory

bbqLuv you are NOT the only one who loves bleu cheese. I adore it!

If you want a great bleu cheese dressing, use great bleu cheese. I use either Maytag or Point Reyes.

Adapted from an old job:

6 oz crumbled bleu cheese
        4 oz good mayo (not miracle whip like products)
        1 oz sour cream
        1 oz half and half
        fresh ground black pepper, to taste (i do 3 twists for this small batch)
        pinch of cayenne….

Whip together everything except the crumbles until smooth. Fold in the crumbles. Let it sit overnight for flavors to meld. Shelf life: 7 days, not that it ever lasts that long. This recipe is very scalable, as i broke it down from commercial prep measurements.

My favorite bleu cheese salad is chopped romaine tossed with BC dressing. Top with hard boiled egg, slivered almonds and extra BC crumbles.

my favorite BC burger is grilled burger, grilled sliced red onion, shredded lettuce, BC dressing and extra BC crumbles.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          This seems a lot like my favorite restaurant bleu cheese dip from Buffalo Wings and Rings. I'll have to try this one to find out.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R it is from a chain that I used to work at.

And when this goes on sale, I pick it up for back-up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0867E2F0-E4B4-4389-B5E0-EA9867458E04.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1186599

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn I was talking to Texas Tweeter, he mentioned it above and spelled it Lighthouse👇

" Try the lighthouse chunky blue cheese dressing. Will be in the refrigerated foods. Always have a bottle on hand."
          Last edited by Panhead John; March 8, 2022, 04:35 PM.

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I do like Ken’s when I’m a pinch, but will definitely give this a try.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I thought you were busting my chops for bleu v. Blue.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is more a spread that a dip, but its excellent. My family has been making it since the 1970s at least.

1 Tub Soft Cheddar Spread (I use Owl's Nest)
        8 oz's bleu cheese (to taste)
        1 to 4 cloves garlic, (to tast)
        Press the garlic into the Cheese Spread, fold in the bleu cheese, let sit overnight. This stuff's toxic, but delicious.

Comment

Started eating chunks of blue cheese in high school late 70's

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            lost status at the high school
            used to be my school...
            ate TV dinners by the pool
            cannot fib to ate Amazing Rib

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here