Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Huli -Huli Chicken

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Smoked Huli -Huli Chicken

    Ever since Meathead's posting of his recipe for that Hawaiian tropical chicken treat, better known as Huli-Huli Chicken, its remained a mainstay here in the Pit. Once thing that I've noticed is that the classic Hawaiian version is primarily done on open rotary spits, typically spatchcocked or cut into pieces to be grilled via open fire or coals. Nothing wrong with that for sure, but we also prefer to smoke our chicken to both enhance and get that added dimension that the sauce initially provides.

    Although smoke has a tendency to diminish the sauce's punch, the result is still a delicious version of this dish that puts it over the top. And of course, in true Troutman tinkering style, I had to modify the recipe to give it a bit more kick.

    So let's smoke some Huli-Huli Hawaiian Style Smoked Chicken ,,,,,

    Click image for larger version  Name:	04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	998.7 KB ID:	1887799





    Smoked Huli-Huli Chicken

    Course: Dinner, also great for left over lunches
    Cuisine: Hawaiian and American BBQ
    Makes: 6-8 servings
    Takes: 30 minutes prep, 6-12 hours marinade, 1-1/2 to 2 hours to smoke
    Special Equipment: Large Tupperware vessel for marinating or 2 each 2-1/2 gallon zip lock bags

    Ingredients:
    ​
    1 each - 3 to 4 pound roaster chicken cut into halves (double the marinade below for 2 chickens)

    Marinade;

    1 cup pineapple juice, canned or bottled, unsweetened (Note 1)
    1 1/2 tbsp ginger , freshly grated (Note 2)
    1 1/2 tbsp garlic , freshly grated (Note 2)
    1/2 cup Meat Mitch Whomp! BBQ Sauce (or tomato ketchup for the faint of heart!)
    1/4 cup W Worcestershire sauce (or Lea & Perrins)
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup Mirin
    Juice of 1 lime
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tbsp Sriracha
    2 tbsp rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
    1 tbsp sesame oil

    Note 1: Emphasis again in on NOT using sweetened or from concentrate juice. Also be careful on the marinade time, typically 6-12 hours is all you need. The bromelain, a naturally occurring enzyme in pineapple, tends to relax the proteins and begins to "cook" them.
    Note 2: Be sure to grate and finely mince your garlic and ginger so they dissolve in the marinade. You'll use this as a basting and finishing sauce so chunks of either should be avoided.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.89 MB ID:	1887801





    Method:
    ​
    Marinade:

    1. Mix together all the marinade ingredients in a blender​ and whir until combined. Save all but about 1-1/2 cups full for basting reserve.

    2. Place chicken halves into your marinade bag or vessel and pour in the marinade. Make sure you massage the birds getting the marinade in all the cracks and crevices.

    3. After refrigerating for 6-12 hours, remove the birds and prepare them for the smoker. Season them with your favorite poultry seasoning along with some 16 mesh black pepper.

    Smoking:

    4. Fire up your smoker and let it settle in on or about 250*F (or 121*C). Throw a few chunks of you favorite fruitwood on the coals and get the smoke rolling.

    5. Place the marinaded chickens on the smoker and let them cook until the breast meat reaches 165*F (74*C) and the dark meat runs up to 180-185*F (82-85*C) or until the juices flow clear.

    6. During the cooking process, or every 30 minutes or so, baste the birds with the reserved marinade. That deep rich golden color will begin to develop as the sugars in the marinade begin to char and turn a deep rich patina.

    7. Rest your bids, carve them into serving size pieces. Serve along with some grilled pineapple slices for a true taste of the tropics.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.10 MB ID:	1887800







    Click image for larger version  Name:	05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1887802








    Click image for larger version  Name:	03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.63 MB ID:	1887803




    Enjoy your Hawaiian tropical treat !! As always, Troutman is outta here and on to the next challenge ..... aloha !!!
    Last edited by Troutman; September 22, 2026, 11:31 AM.

    #2
    I cooked this chicken for my wife's family back last fall, and everyone enjoyed it. Thanks for the reminder, looks like I should put this into the rotation!

    Comment


      #3
      Looks great as usual Steve. I will try this pretty soon.

      Comment


        #4
        Man your pit must take forever to come to temp. Fire up the pit, and then start your marinade?

        Comment


        • Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh, good catch. I’ll move the fire up process down in line. Thanks.

        #5
        Just my recommendation but if you get a chance look for “Maui Gold” pineapples, a species developed on Maui 50 years ago and still grown there. Best luck finding them will be in supermarkets on the west coast. (When they learned Amazon planes deadhead back to the mainland they recently worked a deal to have Amazon carry pallets to California on the deadhead run back.) Field ripened and shipped within a day or two of picking. You can also have them shipped directly but that can get expensive,
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3515.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	1887831
        Some 25lb boxes we have ordered over the past 6 months.

        Comment


        • klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Maui gold? I read Maui wowie for some reason. Must have had a flashback. ComfortablyNumb might be able to relate

        • klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Maui Wowie, also known as Maui Waui, is a sativa dominant strain, which is mostly found and grown in the Hawaiian Islands. The buds of the strain are covered by wonderful crystals which make it look quite tempting for patients and cannabis users. As for the smell, you will note a hint of pine alo...

        • OC Sandy
          OC Sandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I've ordered these a couple of times directly from the grower. They are a nice treat.

        #6
        On the recipe I can find Note 1, but the ingredients list also mentions Note 3 which I don’t see.

        Comment


        • Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Getting sloppy in my old age. Another correction needed. Thanks.

        • klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't see it either. I guess i just figured he is going to say use fresh, not jarred.

        • 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          No note 2?

        #7
        I like to throw in some scotch bonnet dust or puree for my marinade. Honey is sometimes used instead of brown sugar. Good writeup.

        Comment


        • 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I planted a bunch of Scotch bonnets for making jerk recipes but they produce way more peppers than I need so I'm making a small batch of Scotch bonnet hot sauce this year.

        • texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          They freeze whole well too. 58limited

        • 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Just to save space I've been coarse chopping them before freezing.

        #8
        Troutman Steve what smoker did you use? It looked like you had hooks in one picture is why I ask. I've got the kettle, with SNS or rotisserie, the kamado, and the PBX here, just wondering what would be the best way to go. Do you think the marinade and higher temps in the PBX/PBC would burn?

        I am assuming from the ingredients list that this is not a spicy chicken recipe. I love hot, but my wife does not these days (she used to, but cancer and chemo have changed her taste buds).

        Comment


        • Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Cooked on a WSM. Not really very spicy, in fact the smoke pushes the marinade to the background. Just a mild sweet flavor if anything.

        • jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman thanks! Your presentation itself is part of what is so amazing. I'm gonna grab a couple of chickens and do this the next time I need to feed dinner guests I think. Just gotta decide if hanging chicken halves on the PBX will result in so much smoke from the drippings that it overwhelms the marinade entirely. This might be a cook for the kettle and Vortex... or even the rotisserie.

        • Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris another correction to the recipe (man I'm slipping), if you do (2) birds like we did be sure to double the amount of marinade. The recipe amount shown is really for one whole bird.

        #9
        We make this quite often and really enjoy it. The leftover we vacuum seal and reheat for later.

        Comment


          #10
          Troutman question. You say:

          "Save all but about 1-1/2 cups full for basting reserve"

          Does that mean that I marinade with just 1.5 cups of the liquid, or did you meant to say save 1.5c for basting, and I use all the rest for marinading?

          Thanks!

          Jim

          Comment


          • Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            The idea is to reserve a little bit for basting and final finishing. It could be a cup. It could be less, make sure you heat it up and get it somewhat thickened.

          #11
          That chicken looks delicious. Yum.

          Huli-huli means turn-turn. You have to keep turning the chicken because of all the sugar in the teriyaki marinade and mop sauce. No huli-huli in this recipe, but sure looks good.

          Comment


          • Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            OK, then I’m gonna call it. Smokey Dopey chicken.😎

          #12
          Huli Huli chicken is so good. I've cooked it both ways - smoked and not smoked. I like them both but differently. I agree that smoking gives it an additional flavor dimension. Good stuff.

          Comment

          Announcement

          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          0
          Guest
          Guest
          500
          ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
          7