Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle Fried Vortex Chicken Thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok after 3 days of delay I’m ready to rock this tonight. 3 bone in breast soaking for 3 days in pickle juice…1st night canceled due to emergency dental surgery for the Mrs. 2nd night cancellation was the result of the ice storm that kept me at work for 15 hours.
    Gonna do Louisiana Chicken fry because I have a bag I should use. Only decision is Weber 26 w/ sns or vortex or a 22 with vortex?
    I’ll be honest I’m still not happy with the way the 26 cooks compared to the 22 just doesn’t cook the underside as well

edit: Nevermind called back into work ( 211 hours in 19 straight days and counting) so into the trash this chicken will go, 4 days in pickle juice just can’t be the answer!
    Last edited by CHNeal; December 9, 2022, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris Plan canceled. See above edit
      Last edited by CHNeal; December 9, 2022, 04:36 PM.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      What happened? Did Santa not show?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn.

Awww, and you came so close!

Hope things settle down for you at work.

Kathryn

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fzxdoc about 17 days and Ill be bored to death!

Where can you get a vortex?

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      buddyg PM me your mailing address and all you will need to do is go to your porch!

Merry Christmas,
      Clay
      Last edited by CHNeal; December 18, 2022, 05:31 AM.

If you use your SNS instead of a vortex, how hot do you run the indirect side or do just run the kettle vents wide open?

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      I used the SNS a few weeks back and ran it wide open, as hot as I could get it. Started with a full chimney of charcoal and let that get full going.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I run it wide open when doing chicken with the vortex or SNS.

Bought some thighs and a new jar of pickles so Sunday dinner is all planned out! I thought about doing this tonight but with the big reveal today there a good chance ill be in no condition to be around raw food or fire by dinner time!!!

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Big reveal eh?

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr Yep Its the Secret Santa Reveal party at noon central!

Late to this thread but I've neen "grill frying " for years. First on gassers, then kettles, my old Kamado, and now my PK 360. Pretty much the same process of the above posts, except I liberally spray canola oil on the breaded chicken pcs before and during the cook to replicate that deep fried texture! Crispy skin with a hint of smoke, delicious.
    Another "breaded grill " favorite is , Grilled Chicken Parm!...Chicken cutlets marinated in Italian salad dressing, seasoned with bread crumbs, again sprayed with oil (Pam), flip and spoon on warm tomato sauce , sprinkle shredded Mozz amd some grated parm, close lid to melt . Easy weeknight alternative to messy frying in the kitchen!

Comment

I like your style, RlsRls . That Chicken Parm idea is brilliant. Do you put the cutlets on a grate or on a griddle placed on the grate?

FWIW, I often use Duck Fat Spray on chicken or steak while on the grill. It adds a marvelous flavor.

Kathryn​

Comment

• RlsRls
        RlsRls commented
        Editing a comment
        Directly on well oiled or(seasoned cast iron) grates. Of course you lose some of the breading when flipping but it still comes out fine!
        A griddle would be better!

Oh oh oh! What a great way to cook chicken this is!!!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	7D3189D3-38AB-43E5-928E-632EA652625F.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	1346557 Click image for larger version

Name:	AF452C6E-A9D8-4CD9-AE7E-DE0F35262508.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1346558 Click image for larger version

Name:	E1CF4D98-BA8B-475A-96CB-E7FF4298A21C.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	1346560 Click image for larger version

Name:	01F49F48-AEF4-48DF-99E0-5D0C98B25726.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	1346559

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey! You got your chicken cook in!!!! Excellent stuff right there!

I love chicken with the Vortex on the Kettle. A great cooker combo.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

I just ate 3 pieces of this cold for lunch and it was still awesome!!! It is amazing the flavor the pickle juice gives the chicken.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here