Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thai BBQ Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thai BBQ Chicken

Headnote: Where I grew up on the westside of Los Angeles, there was a small restaurant chain called Thai Dishes. Very good food and one of our favorites dishes was called Chicken on Fire. It literally was delivered to the table on fire. I ran across a recipe in the Los Angles Times food section in 1987 that closely resembled this dish (except for the fire part). I've tweaked it a bit over time, but it pretty closely resembles that dish with curry, turmeric flavors and a sweet sauce glaze.

Makes or Serves: Serves 4. You can easily double the marinade and sauce.

Takes: About 30 minutes to prep the marinade, 4-24 hours to marinade the chicken and about 1.5 hours to roast and char the chicken with the glaze.

Serve with: We generally serve it with homemade fried rice and Asian slaw.

Special tools: No special tools, but I always do this dish on the Weber kettle with the Vortex. The Vortex is a roasting machine.

Ingredients:

Marinade:
    2 tsp sweet curry powder
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp black pepper
    ½ cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
    3 Tbsp cilantro, minced
    3 Tbsp garlic, minced
    3 Tbsp onion, minced
    1 Tbsp sugar

Apricot Glaze:
    ½ cup apricot jam or preserves (or peach jam or orange marmalade)
    ¼ cup apricot or peach nectar (look in your fruit juice aisle)
    1 tsp Thai or Chinese-style chile sauce (or more if you like it hotter)
    ¼ cup BBQ sauce (KC style)

1 (3-4 lb.) young chicken, quartered and breasts cut in half, so 10 pieces. I remove the skin from the breast, thighs and legs. Because the chicken is marinated, the skin does not render its fat and you end up with floppy, soggy skin. I also just usually buy thighs. Much easier to manage.

Method:

1. Quarter chicken, place in plastic bag and set aside.
    2. Combine all marinade ingredients. Pour marinade into plastic bag with chicken. Massage chicken with marinade to ensure it is well coated. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours up to 24 hours (I normally do 24 hours).
    3. Roast (indirect cooking) chicken at 375-400 d. for approximately 30 minutes, turn and roast another 25 minutes. Check chicken with insta-read thermometer to ensure doneness.
    4. While chicken is roasting, combine apricot glaze ingredients in a sauce pan, heat to simmer and reduce mixture to a thick glaze. Taste and adjust if needed (more chile sauce, more liquid, etc.)
    5. When chicken is done, move to another grill or over to direct heat and baste chicken with glaze. Need to turn chicken often to prevent burning. All you want is a little char on the chicken.
    6. Remove chicken from grill and pour remaining glaze over chicken and serve.

Attached Files

That looks great.

Comment

Thank you. Looks like it would be a great dish so we are going to give it a try if we can find the right chile sauce around here.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Like I mentioned, I've had and tweaked this recipe over 30 years. Siracha would work. Your own chili pepper sauce will work. I found the apricot/peach nectar the hardest to find.

I'll vouch for this recipe, been making it since you first mentioned it a couple of years ago. I use thighs (I leave the skin on) and I follow the recipe as you posted but I use 1 Tbsp of Huy Fong chili garlic sauce in the sauce - I like the heat. I always use peach nectar and apricot jam - good flavor combo. For the BBQ sauce I use Stubb's original.

I cook it a little differently and it comes out with a great smoky almost candied skin: Quick sear bone side down then indirect until cooked through. I baste with the sauce every 15-20 minutes after searing and throw a handful of applewood chips onto the coals each time I baste.

This has become one of my most requested dishes, I often cook it at my local brew pub on game nights for the staff and my friends.

If you don't find the apricot or peach nectar on the juice aisle, look on the International foods aisle - I often find it in the Mexican section.
      Last edited by 58limited; August 7, 2021, 07:34 AM.

Comment

This looks like a great recipe! I love the flavor profile from the recipe you have above. THank you for sharing!

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Next time I make this recipe I'm going to add a couple of roasted Hatch chilies to the BBQ sauce.

Wow this does look good. I like the way you handled the glaze, that much sugar content could burn easily. Well done, will save and give this a try !!!

Comment

Looks like you nailed it with this chicken! Definitely will give it a try....thx.

Comment

I wasn't interested until I saw the coconut milk, I have some.

Comment

Its definitely in my next pile when I get my new grill. I think I will mix in a little of 58limited influence & leave the skin on since I no longer marinade anything over a couple hours.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                New grill?

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup!

This recipe is outstanding! Will definitely make it again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here