Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potato Gratins (Scalloped potatoes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potato Gratins (Scalloped potatoes)

This is a generic recipe that I used once or twice but have since started making multiple layers of the ingredients. I also make individual servings in small stoneware crocks instead of in a larger casserole dish. However you choose to assemble it, be careful you don't use too much cream or you'll have potato soup, albeit very tasty soup, instead of gratins.

Potato Gratins

Potato gratins are really very easy to make. They're basically composed of potatoes, cheese, and heavy cream. I don't know how many people you will be serving, but here's a simple recipe that serves 4-6. If there are only two of you, just cut all amounts in half.

Ingredients:
    1 clove of garlic, peeled and cut in half
    2 lbs of russet baking potatoes, peeled and sliced very thinly (use a mandolin if you have one)
    1 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
    1 cup heavy cream
    Salt
    Freshly ground Pepper
    Freshly ground Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    If you don't have a gratin dish, use a regular baking dish. Rub the inside of the dish all over with the garlic.
    Layer half the potatoes in the dish.
    Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a very little bit of nutmeg.
    Sprinkle on half the cheese.
    Pour half the cream over the potato/cheese layer.
    Repeat with a second layer.
    Bake, uncovered, until the top is crisp and golden brown. It should take about 50-60 minutes, but keep checking it. If you cut the recipe in half, it will take less time, probably no more than 30-40 minutes.
    Serve immediately.

Last edited by WayneT; January 27, 2023, 05:38 PM.

Thank you Sir! Just loaded into paprika and will make these next week.

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I strongly urge you to use fresh ground nutmeg since there is such a small amount needed. If you have a hand held grater, just grate enough onto each layer where it’s barely visible.

Love the addition of nutmeg! I love this type of dish and use the Hasselback scallop potato recipe from seriouseats.com/Kenji - but I don’t recall nutmeg in that recipe. So…will have to add a touch of this next time!

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw his recipe the other day and have it on my must-try list. I really like the how he dips the sliced potatoes in the cream/milk mixture before assembling the gratins.

Always up for a great potato recipe. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here