Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thick Cut Oven Fries with a Twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thick Cut Oven Fries with a Twist

Here's the recipe for the thick cut oven fries that I made last night. This is from America's Test Kitchen and I have to say they were incredible. Crunchy on the outside and so creamy on the inside. Best oven fries I've ever made, no more frozen fires for me. Yes, I get that these aren't really fries as they aren't fried, but I'm not a big fan of deep fat frying at home.
    I followed the recipe exactly except that I cut the planks a little thinner, probably about 1/4" thick. Ovens vary a lot and I found that I needed a fair bit more time to get them to brown correctly, and I also switched to convection @475*F for the final 10 minutes and moved the trays to the middle of the oven at this time. I really suggest watching the video, if for no other reason, than to get an idea of what the cornstarch slurry should look like. Note that the slurry can change very quickly. The last 20 seconds for me, turned it really thick and solid so I had to add more water to it.
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al4LYwOKsxw
    Recipe:
    Ingredients
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
    ¾ cup water
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    Salt
    Directions
    Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Generously spray rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil spray. Pour oil into prepared sheet and tilt sheet until surface is evenly coated with oil.
    Halve potatoes lengthwise and turn halves cut sides down on cutting board. Trim thin slice from both long sides of each potato half; discard trimmings. Slice potatoes lengthwise into â…“- to ½-inch-thick planks.
    Combine water and cornstarch in large bowl, making sure no lumps of cornstarch remain on bottom of bowl. Microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until mixture begins to thicken, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and continue to stir until mixture thickens to pudding-like consistency. (If necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons water to achieve correct consistency.)
    Transfer potatoes to bowl with cornstarch mixture and toss until each plank is evenly coated. Arrange planks on prepared sheet, leaving small gaps between planks. (Some cornstarch mixture will remain in bowl.) Cover sheet tightly with lightly greased aluminum foil and bake for 12 minutes.
    Remove foil from sheet and bake until bottom of each fry is golden brown, 10 to 18 minutes. Remove sheet from oven and, using thin metal spatula, carefully flip each fry. Return sheet to oven and continue to bake until second sides are golden brown, 10 to 18 minutes longer. Sprinkle fries with ½ teaspoon salt. Using spatula, carefully toss fries to distribute salt. Transfer fries to paper towel–lined plate and season with salt to taste. Serve.

Thanks, Paul. I'm going to make these tonight. Only have russets in the house, though. Hope they work as well.

Kathryn

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      From the comments on the ATK site for this recipe it appears that russets should work just as well! Looking forward to seeing how you make out and what you think Kathryn!

Can 1000% confirm this is legit, and best fries ever. Kenji has a a similar take on it here, and it is our go-to tater recipe. 👍🏻👍🏻💯💯💯

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      While Kenji's recipe for roast potatoes is great and I've done them his way several times in the past, the ATK method is very, very different. There is no parboiling, and no baking powder for one, and the crispy outside is mostly due to the cornstarch slurry coating.

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare
      Well, color me a bit embarrassed and corrected. Turns out my wife has done both, and I mixed it up. Both are good.... I guess I just love crunchy roast potatoes.
      Last edited by Caffeine88; February 27, 2022, 10:10 AM.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Caffeine88 - totally with you on that position! 🤤🤤

Oh my. We regularly make crispy roasted potatoes using Kenji's recipe, but now we will most certainly give this recipe a try.

Comment

Looks awesome, great minds thinking alike….I actually did these last night.

Potato wedges, or Jo Jo Potatoes, are perfectly seasoned and baked until golden.  Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yea Jojos with ranch dip.

Thanks to pkadare , we had a great side dish tonight, made with russets instead of yukon gold potatoes, since that's what I had on hand. The only changes I made was to goose up the oven temp to 450° and load up two pans a half sheet and a quarter sheet pan, with the 2lbs of russets. I put one pan on the top shelf and the other on the bottom shelf of the oven. The large one on the bottom shelf took an extra 20 minutes to crisp up.

The potatoes were pretty yummy--and that comes from someone who basically dislikes potatoes except fries and baked potato skins (me). The potato lover in the family, my husband, really liked them. Yay.

Served with sous vide/seared flat iron steak with chimichurri sauce and a cucumber sweet onion salad with ranch vinaigrette dressing.

Thanks, Paul, for the tip!

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 27, 2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here