Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your go-to oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your go-to oil?

The more YouTube videos I watch, the more I've become fascinated with what oil people use for cooking under various circumstances. Some people are very particular about what oil they use for what....EVOO for this, regular olive oil for that.....canola and only canola for something else, etc. Others (Rachel Ray comes to mind) use EVOO for nearly everything.

For me, my choices are primarily based on smoke point based on being, perhaps, overly concerned with smoking the oil and ruining a dish. General sautéing I'll do olive oil. Anything that gets hotter than that gets canola and anything that gets close to searing (steak, tuna) gets avocado oil.

I rarely use straight vegetable oil for anything. If I am honest with myself, it is primarily due to watching all those cooking shows in which vegetable oil just isn't used.....as it is....blasé or plebeian (or at least the program sponsors wish one to think that). I've been on a Thai kick lately and it was almost shocking how prevalent just plain old vegetable oil is in their cooking. No oil hang ups there.

So, how do yall approach what oil to use in your cooking?

If I am cooking with it I use just plain vegetable oil. Its neutral in flavor and I use the herbs and spices to flavor things.

If I am adding oil after things are cooked or in a cold application I'll use extra virgin olive oil, walnut oil, peanut oil or sesame seed oil.

Now I do use ghee and bacon grease for certain things but I don't know if they are techniquily oil.

Comment

Canola oil for cooking. EVOO for things like eggs and such.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        This is me. Canola for general use. EVOO for salad dressing, etc.

For high frying temps I like a good synthetic. Click image for larger version  Name:	2422306C-E0DB-4028-BE2C-F905CA320ACF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	18.9 KB ID:	945105

Click image for larger version  Name:	C5B5B51F-3348-48CD-9212-F388A23C6202.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	945106 For low heat cooks and salads I prefer Castrol 5W-30.
      Last edited by Panhead John; November 25, 2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Better for onion rings than fries, makes em mealy.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny!!!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lifelong Pennzoil kinda guy, here...
        Exceptin fer mosta my life when I couldn't afford it, an hadda buy th 'store brand'

I use avocado oil for most stuff and peanut oil if im deep frying something. Good italian evoo for dipping etc.

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        Same

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Have both, will travel...

Vegetable oil, EVOO, butter, beef tallow, bacon fat. All depends on what I am making.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
        TheQuietOne commented
        Editing a comment
        Beef tallow makes the best fired potatoes.

My favorite casual oil for skillet frying is corn oil. I will make it a point to seek out corn oil, IMO it's tasteless. Canola (rapeseed) oil is 2nd, but I prefer corn. I don't do much deep frying, and of course EVOO is always on hand for its respective things like dipping bread and whatnot, but corn is my fry oil. No taste IMO, like vegetable oil has.

Comment

Low temperature cooking/drizzling I use super high quality olive oil. Pretty much all other cooking (minus super high heat searing) I use avocado oil. Crazy hot searing, I use coconut oil.

Comment

Panhead John kind of beat me.....

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            You know, that kinda looks like a PBC....

Stir fry I use peanut oil, general use it’s olive oil. When I get around to deep frying again it will be canola oil.

Comment

For that cool slick backed look, I prefer .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	68733ED9-F473-4278-8DB9-8790EDA42DFB.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	945251

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s what I use when it starts to get a little long.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Always was a V05, or Brylcreem kinda guy, my danged ol self...

Nowadays? I mostly jus use Turtle Wax...

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Butch Wax as a kid. I had a flat top.

In delving into the health/digestive thing in caring for my wife, I discovered some do oils & don’t oils. So, I use evoo, regular olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil & a quality, cold pressed canola oil (the best of a bad oil. I totally stay away from palm oil, corn oil, soy oil, vegetable oil, reg canola oil. Even with the olive oils & avacado oils, one has to be very careful of there origin. There is a lot of mischief in the marketing end of things.

Comment

• phrogpilot73
              phrogpilot73 commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife has fibromyalgia, and at one point the doctor sent her to a nutritionist, who put her on a 28 day elimination diet. The purpose was to eliminate known inflammatory foods and then slowly add them back in to see which ones she has to avoid. Found out very quickly that only high quality oils were in our future.

Almost always use avocado oil due to its high smoke point and neutral flavor. I don’t deep fry anything. EVOO for Italian food and salad dressing. If I’m baking and a recipe calls for vegetable oil I’ll use that, but never touch the stuff for general cooking - It always tastes fishy to me.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the same of vegetable oil - fishy- that's what made me switch to corn oil for regular frying.

and don't forget the ghee...

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              You should start an AR ghee club...singing optional. 😎

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. If'n we fergets th ghee, then all is lost...

We were at a pecan farm yesterday buying pecans (what else?) and they had bottles of Pecan Oil for sale.. I had never heard of that but owner said it would be good for any cooking or for use as slather/binder.

Anyone here ever use it or is he trying to sell me "snake oil"?

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I would think you'd have to be at a snake farm for that (te-hee). Never used it myself but it's a thing, yes.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here