Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVOO v OO, Kosher Salt v Sea Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVOO for most things ... peanut oil for Asian-style dishes. Morton’s Kosher salt for everything.

Comment

I use evoo in most things at work and Diamond kosher salt and Morton’s kosher salt at home.

Comment

An interesting study done a year or two ago found that microplastics were present in about 90% of sea salts made these days.

That's why I use Himalayan rock salt as it was made at least a few years before plastic was invented.

Comment

Steven Raichlin is amazin, imo...

That bein said, most times, I use Kroger, fer everyday stuff.

Comment

All this talk of salt leads me to wonder... my wife is a fan of sea salt and the Himalayan pink salt. And I have either Morton's or Diamond kosher salt in the pantry for dry brining meat and making rubs. And I have MY "pink salt" (aka Prague Powder #1) as well.

Which leads me to the subject of table salt. It used to be that most salt shakers were filled with iodized table salt, and that was for a very good reason (to avoid thyroid issues and developmental issues caused by iodine deficiency). It seems to me that with the fad of sea salt everywhere on everything, that we have regressed in providing an essential micro-nutrient to the population.

So with that in mind, a while back I started buying good old Morton iodized salt, and I sneak it into the table salt shakers when the wife is not around, so that she thinks they continue to be filled with sea salt, and so far she has not caught on...

Comment

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              We still use the Morton's iodized for table salt for just that reason (and the feeling that I can only put on so many airs about my food...). Switched to the Morton's for my kosher salt after reading the treatise here (since I tend to feel salt is salt, if the Morton's has more consistent sizing then why not). I use the kosher for most of the cooking, except for our old family recipes that I know were measured using table salt.

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              "To get all your iodine from salt, you would need more than half a teaspoon of iodized salt a day. That's two-thirds of the daily allotment of sodium (1,500 milligrams) recommended by the American Heart Association."

Iodine is easy to get from a good, varied diet. I suggest eating more sushi. You'll get iodine from both any seafood and from the nori (seaweed) used. Roasted seaweed snacks are also a good source. Yum.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here