Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Fat to Cook Eggs In

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Best Fat to Cook Eggs In

    I just saw an infographic on Facebook about the best fat to cook eggs in.

    The fat from the bacon that was just cooked in the cast iron skillet before the eggs was not even mentioned.

    Am I wrong that fresh bacon grease in a cast iron skillet is the way to cook eggs?

    ETA - Here's the infographic.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	834214348_122243346194481767_1509514825554013357_n.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1891064
    Last edited by BKYDBBQ; Yesterday, 04:37 AM.

    #2
    I don’t think there is a “best” fat for cooking eggs. In my experience, and from what I’ve read (not on Facebook 😎) there is a sort of “top four” list, though: butter, olive oil, avocado oil, and bacon fat. Which you choose depends entirely on what you’re trying to achieve.

    Just do what you enjoy the most and don’t sweat what the Mental Giants of Facebook have to say about it.

    Comment


      #3
      Bacon grease makes awesome fried and scrambled eggs. If you use something like vegetable oil or olive oil, it just isn't the same.
      Butter burns too fast to make really good fried eggs, IMHO.

      Comment


        #4
        Bacon grease is my absolute go to

        Comment


          #5
          bacon grease is my first go to. Then butter. Sometimes both

          Comment


            #6
            Bacon grease is the absolute best but the wife says don't use it. If you want a bit of flavor and richness use butter. We use a non stick pan and just cook them plain on the pan.

            Comment


              #7
              If I’m frying bacon and eggs there’s no way I’m using anything but the bacon grease, you just can’t beat the flavor…..but if I’m just scrambling or frying eggs by themselves with no bacon, I’ll use butter.

              Comment


              • dubob
                dubob commented
                Editing a comment
                I keep all my leftover bacon grease in a leftover pickle jar (Claussen if you must know) and use it for just about everything that is fried in a pan. The fakebook nerds can kiss my elbow. 😁

              • Carolyn
                Carolyn commented
                Editing a comment
                I use butter to scramble eggs if I don't have bacon grease. I brown the butter.

              • johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                For scrambled fried eggs with no bacon, I use tallow with a pinch or 2 of hickory smoked salt. I don't much care for fried scrambled eggs.

              #8
              Enough olive oil to coat bottom of the pan, then a pat of butter. Generally use cast iron or carbon steel pan- I have learned to keep the heat much lower than I used to and allow a lot of time for the pan to get to temperature.

              Comment


                #9
                Depends on your flavor profile! I’ve used Ghee, Irish Butter, bacon fat (that I render and save), and they all have distinct flavors.

                i eat a decent number of eggs in a weeks time, I just keep experimenting.

                Comment


                  #10
                  lard/bacon grease or smoked tallow are my favs

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Butter.. low heat and let it get brown first before adding the eggs.
                    Bacon grease is a good option too

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Imma throw this out there…. If you want your eggs to have flavor, season them.

                      I use butter.

                      Comment


                        #13
                        I use butter. I like my eggs solid but not browned so I start them in a skillet that’s hot enough to melt butter but not “fry” them. I’ll slowly raise the temp a little at a time. By the time the skillet is getting truly hot I’m done.

                        Comment


                          #14
                          To fry eggs…bacon grease is the winner.

                          Bacon grease to make roux for Gumbo is excellent too.

                          Comment


                          • SheilaAnn
                            SheilaAnn commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Never thought about it for gumbo.

                          #15
                          1. Bacon grease is number 1.
                          2. If bacon grease not available, tallow is number 2.
                          3. If neither available, eat something else.

                          Comment

                          Announcement

                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          0
                          Guest
                          Guest
                          500
                          ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                          7