Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally cold enough to smoke cheese here in WV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally cold enough to smoke cheese here in WV

I have 6 pounds of cheese in the PBC with a smoke tube full of apple pellets. Mix of mozzarella, mild cheddar, sharp white cheddar, pepper jack. And Swiss any one else cold smoke cheese in the PBC like this?

Another way I have used is to put a large pan of ice below the cheese. It reduces the amount of cheese you can do at any one time, but it works and you can do it any time of the year.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 18, 2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Sam6687 I have a PBC and I absolutely love smoked cheese. I would really appreciate the details of your process and photos if possible. Thanks so much for your timely post.

Where are you from in WV? I grew up on the Cumberland side of the river but all my kin are in WV.

Comment

Smoked cheese isn't hard to do. It's more about patience and care than rocket science.

I usually smoke mild flavored, firm cheeses -- mild cheddar, colby, jack, mozarella, string cheese, gouda, havarti, cheese curds, etc. The stronger cheeses such as aged cheddar aren't all that appealing to me when smoked, but you might want to try a variety of cheeses because your preference may be different than mine. Just don't smoke a big hunk 'o expensive fancy cheese before you know what you like.

I cut large chunks into smaller logs to get more surface area - logs 1 1/2 to 2 inches on a side are nice. String cheese is great since it's ready to go without cutting, although it's nice to get fresh string cheese from local cheese makers, not the waxy stuff that passes for string cheese in many stores.

The important thing is to keep the cheese cool enough during smoking. I smoke cheese on a cool/cold day (under 60F / 20C) in a cold smoker or grill. If the weather is sunny, get your grill/smoker in the shade or wait for a cloudy day. I've never used ice, but some people do. Whatever works.

I set an Amazen smoking tube far enough away from the cheese so the smoke is cooled as it wafts toward and around the cheese.

Many people use fruit wood or maple to make a lighter scented smoke. I've even used grass hay for smoking cheese. I aim for a light white smoke like I'd use when cooking a faster cooking meat like chicken. Not billowing clouds of smoke, but also not the "thin blue smoke" you'd want for a brisket cook.

Smoke for 1 to 3 hours, even longer if you find you like lots of smoke. I'd suggest about 3 hours the first time and see what you think, then adjust the time to suit your preference.

Freshly smoked cheese generally has an acrid, sour smell and taste, so it's not very nice to eat. Wrap it up well and put it in the fridge for anywhere from 1 week to a month before unleashing it on friends and family. Taste it every week as it ages to figure out the length of time that suits your taste. I've learned the cheese is getting close to ready when the odor smells good like smoke from a camp fire; it no longer smells sour like a house fire.

Comment

• Sam6687
          Sam6687 commented
          Editing a comment
          I use the amazen tube as well, with apple, cherry or maple usually around 2 hours. We love smoked pepper jack, mild cheddar, and mozzarella but also do a few others to make cheese plates for watching football

RustyHaines i use an amazen smoke tube with either apple, cherry or maple pellets. I put the tube on the bottom of the PBC and put the cheese on the grate. I let the cheese smoke for about 2 hours. After the smoke I shrink wrap the cheese and let it sit for at least 2 weeks but it’s better after 4. Just keep an eye on the temps, even if it’s chilly outside a sunny day can raise the temp of the barrel above 85-90 degrees making your cheese melt
        I am in the northern panhandle about 30 minutes north of Wheeling

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here