Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should Mac & Cheese be kept warm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should Mac & Cheese be kept warm?

Hey Friends, I am always wondering how to keep Mac n Cheese good if served in a restaurant. Supposedly cooked in a big pot then kept in a low heat right?

The problem with mac n cheese is that it thickens as it sits. Not sure how you solve that other than adding a little milk to thin it out again. I'm sure somebody that know more than me will be along shortly. Hopefully they will be more help than I am.

Comment

I agree with the milk and keeping it covered. I also think that mac and cheese reheats very well.

Comment

Strat50 might have a good idea...

Comment

I usually keep it warm by immediately transferring it to my belly!

But seriously folks, if we're not going to serve it right away we get it into the refrigerator promptly and then reheat later. At least the kind that we make doesn't take well to sitting there for any length of time...

Comment

Keep the noodles separate from the cheese if its a longer service time so the noodles don’t become mush. Could keep the cheese sauce warm over a double boiler or a crockpot like a queso. And when you go to service, mix individual portions in a small pot and serve

Those are my ideas but not sure if it would work for you.

Comment

steam table at restaurant.
              for home, try a double boiler on a very low simmer when at home (hot enough to keep the cheese from seizing up, but cool enough to not keep cooking)

Alternative: how about Mac-n-Cheese toast?

let the Mac cool, cut it into squares. Cover in parchment/plastic wrap and compress with the bottom of a cast iron pan to desired thickness. Place in fridge until snack time. When ready to utilize, place in toaster or in a hot pan to crisp up, then continue with your standard sandwich-making process.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here