Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A thread for biscuits and gravy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thread for biscuits and gravy!

Biscuits and gravy, I know it's not smoked, but my absolute favorite breakfast! I use the recipie here, with creole seasoning for seasoned salt, closer to a tablespoon of black pepper and some chipotle seasoning for zing, just curious to see what you guys do for this one, and if anyone has any pro tips!

I love this for supper, especially late night supper.

My wife puts ground and browned pork sausage as well in the gravy.....sooooooooooooooo good!

Comment

Love me some biscuits & sausage gravy! There are some really crappy ones out there. Interested to follow this thread for some good ones!

Comment

Thedcorvette, B's & Gravy Comfort Food for Sure! I can eat a large plate (preferably topped with an over easy egg) for Supper lay down and Wake up in the AM and eat another plate full! Comfort Food For Sure! Use Smoked Sausage as the Qualifier!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Thedcorvette
        Thedcorvette commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoked sausage might be the next step up!

there is a breakfast section where this exists

The wife wanted this this morning. So I broke out my equipment and ingredients and went at it. Biscuits are really hard for some folks to make as is sausage gravy.

Comment

• Thedcorvette
        Thedcorvette commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, I've never made the biscuits from scratch, might have to try that next time!

• Marauderer
        Marauderer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thedcorvette biscuits are easy

Best biscuits and gravy I ever tasted is Kathy Swift's brisket gravy for breakfast at the hospitality tent at the Jack. Yep, shredded, diced brisket instead of sausage. Incredible!

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man, that does sound good. I tried it in chili for the first time recently and loved it. Gonna have to try in in gravy now!

The thread DeusDingo mentions is a good one. I basically follow the same process, with a few changes. I make my own cajun sausage (butt, sage, red pepper, black pepper, & salt) and freeze it in quart freezer bags that I've smashed flat for easy storage. I'll take the thawed sausage out of the bag and brown one side, flip it and brown the other side, and then start chopping the meat up into smaller chunks. Doing it this way allows me to get more browned meat action going than chopping it up as it browns. I don't usually take the meat out before adding the flour. Just dump it in with the meat and stir for a few minutes to cook the rawness out of the flour. Then add the milk and pepper and simmer to desired consistency.

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Marauderer, amen to that. I hated B&G till my father-in-law (raised in Louisiana) made it for me with some Crystal Springs, Mississippi, cold smoked breakfast sausage. I've been on a mission to recreate that sausage ever since.

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        I also have yet to master a biscuits that meets the wife's expectations. Her aunt from New Orleans used to make her fresh buttermilk biscuits. I blame my failure to rise to her expectations on not being able to access White Lily self-rising flour.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr ROK Try Amazon for your White Lily needs.

George
        Last edited by gcdmd; March 2, 2016, 10:17 AM.

I have a few rolls of sausage in the freezer at all times that I get on sale, when I'm done cooking but the coals still have a couple hours left I take one out, put on some maple syrup and a little rub and let it sit for a few hours until it hits 145. It's a little better if you can catch it around 110 or so and wrap it in foil because it can dry out, but good either way. I slice it once cooled and if I can help from eating it all I put it back in the freezer. Great for breakfast and awesome in gravy.

This reminds me to work on my biscuit recipe.

Comment

• Thedcorvette
        Thedcorvette commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a great application for used coals!

Ok, this thread has me drooling... Plenty of sausage in the freezer, just have to go find a way to call it tell my wife it's low carb.

Comment

Sausage and bechamel method, with lots of crystal's hot sauce and fish sauce always does it for me. Big biscuits and gravy fan!

Comment

Love biscuits & gravy and I'm not too picky, I even like Campbell's & Libby's canned sausage gravy. One of my favorite breakfasts is fried diced potatoes, topped with scrambled eggs, sausage gravy and shredded cheddar cheese. Mmmmm...drool.

Comment

I make my own breakfast sausage with tons of black pepper and sage. Fry it up and make a quick béchamel with the drippings, 1/4 cup of flower and 1/2 to 1 cup of milk. More black pepper and a splash of worchestershire. It's the bomb.com baby!

Comment

Could someone explain to me, what in the hell you're all talking about? Biscuits are things you dip in a cup of tea and gravy is for a roast dinner?!?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm English!

Comment

• Gooner-que
                Gooner-que commented
                Editing a comment
                American biscuits are similar to a savory scone, and the sausage gravy is basically a béchamel sauce with black pepper and sausage mince in it. There is no food in England that I can compare it to.

MattBilling Buttermilk biscuits with sausage gravy. Reason number 6493 that Amaricans are fat. But its so worth it! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7651-2.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	145082

(image found here)

Comment

Thanks both. It sounds and looks awesome, I will have to give this a try, are there any good recipes I can try?

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As used in this application it's one pound of raw pork sausage.

• Thedcorvette
                  Thedcorvette commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The one I used in OP is pretty good and only takes a few mins, not sure if they sell packaged biscuits there though...

• MattBilling
                  MattBilling commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice one. Cheers boys.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here