Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mississippi Pot Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to revisit my previous thoughts on this style of pot roast, I absolutely hate it.... wife still loves it, so I'll shut my pie hole and make it from time to time. As Nate said, chuck is more expensive than brisket right now in my area too so that adds to my thoughts subconsciously I suppose

Comment

Oh, yeah! I start with smoking the chuckle a couple of hours, then finish the pot roast as described in a Dutch oven. Doing one this week. Amazing, family favorite.

Comment

I AM going to try this recipe!

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        my wife LOVES it, me not so much. I think it's the gravy/au jus part with the rest for me... I do like the ranch powder and pepperoncini combo and have played with it on other cooks in a satisfactory manner.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Tbob, try it, you’ll be hooked.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John - I am looking at this and thinking I want to try it using short ribs! I know the thought of all that butter and fat might go over as well as a leaner cut but I’m thinking….delicious.

I sear the living s**t out of my chuck roast first - and if you're not putting in cut up onions, carrots and potatoes in with that roast for the last couple of hours, you're seriously missing out.

This is an incredible meal, has become a regular favorite at my house.

Now that I have the flattop, the leftovers are going to be used to make even more incredible philly steak sammiches. Just you wait and see...

Comment

We do this once month with some slight variations. Dry brine the chuckle over night, then rub down with Worcestershire and season with Oakridge Spogos and sear on all sides. we sub onion soup mix for the gravy. We add carrots, onions, potatoes and celery for the whole cook. At the 4 hour mark we add mushrooms. When the 8 hours is up, I pull the chuckle and shred, removing any large pieces of fat, then add the meat back to the pot. Delicious.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Slight variations? That’s a whole nuther recipe 😳

Stick to your bones good! LFG

And do not beat yourself up.....those pics are world class!

Comment

Panhead John Do we have to go to Mississippi to cook this?

Comment

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John My wife is from Mississippi and she never heard of it.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Clark it appears that you’re starved for entertainment.

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John Well, I'll just call it Panhead Pot Roast.

Well, I was looking for info on SV'ing a chuck pot roast, times, temp and etc. Then I stumbled upon this thread and have changed my mind. Looks like it's off to the store for some additional items. I got two 3lb chucks from Costco that will fit the bill for this. I think I will smoke for the first 3-4 hours then into the pot.

Cheers!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Personally, with the strength of the flavor profile from the Mississippi pot roast process, I wouldn't bother with the smoking. I don't know that it will add much or that you'll even be able to tell - but I WILL recommend a really hard SEAR on the roast before throwing it in the slow cooker. I do mine in my cast iron on the stove, with another cast iron sitting on top of it pressing it down. HARD SEAR.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve never done the sear or smoked it before, so I have no way to tell if it helps or not. But…it is absolutely delicious done just as in the recipe!

• Rocinante
            Rocinante commented
            Editing a comment
            I am a fan of the sear for sure. I like the idea of pressing it down for the sear. Never done it that way before, but will be for now on though. Always learning something new around here.

Huskee Mr. Moderator, I am a bit baffled. After PJ posted this recipe, I found one online for an Instant Pot version, cooked it, and then posted the results of my cook. That post had to have been after this thread, but I cannot find it. I looked under My Posts - nada. Looked thru this thread - nada. I wanted to post the link in this thread for those that might want to try doing this in their IP. Help?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            This was from Feb, so was yours shortly after it in Feb? Did you scroll back in your posts to that timeframe? Do you remember the title of your post?

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee Yes, my post was after this thread. Searching My Posts, I can only see ones back to Sept this year?I must be doing something wrong.
            Last edited by GolfGeezer; November 24, 2021, 12:57 PM.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a limit as to how many will show up in your My Posts history, even when selecting Filter > All Time. I didn't know if yours would go back far enough or not. My next suggestion is think of what you titled it and try using the Advance Search (Search Box > Options > More Search Options), search what title you think your post has, and in the "Members" box add your username and check "started posts only", see if that helps.

GolfGeezer Pretty sure I found your link. It was IN this thread and not a separate post. This isn’t your cooking post but might be the recipe you used.
          Get ready for this easy, flavorful Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast - it's tender, juicy, and simply irresistible!

Is this it?

Click image for larger version  Name:	5A074EEB-F36C-4411-8AD1-299D736C42B6.png Views:	0 Size:	263.6 KB ID:	1131771
          Last edited by Panhead John; November 24, 2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John Ah!! That is it. I thought I had done a separate post. My Posts apparently does not go back far enough even for Comments as Huskee just pointed out. Solves that mystery!

Thanks Panhead John. And yes GolfGeezer, while a forum holds info nearly endlessly (barring server crashes and other unpredictables), some things aren't designed to go back in time forever, such as tools for finding your posts. They're there, it's just finding them that you need to get creative with. Advanced Search may be your best bet in the future.

Comment

I know I am late to the game, but I want to try this for sure, if we ever buy chuck again that is! And for the butter bashers and commentary above, I will point out that the "stick" of butter in Panhead John 's original recipe post looks like a half stick to me. It's definitely not as long as a normal stick of butter. They sell it that way - where you get a box of individually wrapped half sticks, which is only 4 tablespoons of butter, not 8.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Well Panhead John, all I can say to that is, Mmmm.... butter! Nothing wrong with a full stick. Most of it is ending up in the gravy anyway, and since we often use milk or cream in making gravy anyway, why not butter?

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              I always use a full stick of butter when making it. Some people have said they use half a stick and still like it. Me…more butter, better!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a full stick as well - and I throw in a bunch of veggies the last 2-3 hours. Potatoes, onion, carrots and celery. It's amazing.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here