Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PB’s Pulled Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because of of recent posts, the title of this old post caught my eye. Plant based chucky??

Comment

Looks great. The recipe is clear, thanks!

Comment

I've got this exact cook in my sights for the coming week, hopefully. I'm eager to give it a try. I even have the 8 quart square Camp Chef CI DO to do it in. Reports to come...

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 30, 2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

You know, I gotta second the nomination for sticky status. This is some amazing stuff that everyone needs to see upfront.

Comment

I did this cook yesterday. I have never crutched any meat in a container. I've always wrapped tightly in foil with no extra liquid added. But I determined to follow the recipe to the letter, even using the exact same DO that Polarbear777 used.

Click image for larger version  Name:	camp chef square dutch oven.png Views:	0 Size:	125.7 KB ID:	1085444

The cook was picture perfect. I had two chuck roasts, equaling 5 lbs trimmed, just as the recipe was scaled down for. They were from Sam's Club, beautifully marbled.

I used the WSCCG with the SnS, both of which are admirably designed for a great smoking experience.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1396a213-d191-4273-b760-60335d3cba0f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	382.8 KB ID:	1085441

After the chucks reached 170 and had great bark, I put them in the square Camp Chef DO with tallow rendered from the fat that I had trimmed before the dry brine step. Another admirable design--there is a little opening where the lid meets the pot that allows for 2 probe cables to feed through without crimping. Gosh I love that DO!

I was nervous that the DO was much larger than the meat inside--the meat filled about 50% of the pan. Remember I'm used to a tight wrap. But I continued on.

Within 1.5 hours the meat had exceeded 200°. I let them coast at 205° and 211° respectively for 2.5 hours. Then I pulled them. That pulled beef was thing of beauty, perhaps the best I've ever made. No need to cambro (!) Lots of moisture, nearly all the fat rendered (I had done a pretty vigorous trim) tasting great. I almost hated to proceed on to the next step. But I continued on.

The next step has you placing the pulled beef back into the DO in all the liquids and smoking for 1.5 hours more at 250ish.

I figured the purpose of this step was to sort of confit the meat while the ends sticking out of the liquid get kissed by the smoke from the one more chunk of wood added to the SnS at this point.

But what that last step did at my hands was to dry it out. My mistake? I used too large a pot. I should have crammed it into a smaller CI skillet, with the liquid covering more of the meat, and it probably would have turned out like everyone else's here who has tried this recipe. I noticed, too late, that Polarbear had smoked maybe 12-13 lbs of chuck for that size DO, not the 5 lbs that I used.

Much of the meat was good, but some was dry. No worries, it will go into chili tonight and be delicious, I'm sure. That's the nice thing about smoked chuck--it's pretty forgiving, as long as it's made with well-marbled meat.

My take home insight: Use that DO again for crutching. Gosh, it worked beautifully. Make this recipe again, which is identical to my TNT Chuckie recipe except for that last step and the crutching method, but be mindful of the last step. I'll possibly eliminate it altogether. But maybe not.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; August 30, 2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            It was the addition of the 1/4 cup of tallow that I used per the recipe that made me wonder if the last step was sort of a confit-type of cooking since there's already a good amount of fat from the beef itself. I'm still wondering what that last step brings to the party. Why not just serve the beef right after it is pulled? Polarbear777

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; August 30, 2021, 09:55 PM.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            The last step allows the tips to get some extra smoke and bark and gets the liquids mixed in well with the pulled strands, but could be skipped I’m sure. Either way it’s easy to keep warm in the DO.

That last step was one I got from EdF.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, I see. Thanks, Polarbear777 .

I sure do miss EdF . Another great cook and all-round good person.

Kathryn

Also I do like the notch in that camp chef Dutch oven for the thermo probe. An angle grinder will make a notch like it just fine in any other (non vintage please) DO.

Comment

An even larger batch done with the massive #14 lodge DO and the masterbuilt 1050

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0CBDAC0-9AF8-4316-9EF6-269B1C3E7693.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	1085718Click image for larger version

Name:	C953B178-AB55-44BC-9999-C64111542995.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	1085723

Name:	A672943D-BC7A-4D0B-BABA-D9654B100F98.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	1085719

Name:	D23D9F22-8613-4BAE-A947-898F856D2553.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	1085717

Name:	E72143A7-9979-49BB-82E3-5A675A682A9B.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1085721

Name:	C1E49684-DB3E-446D-983D-D7B6A82B62ED.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	1085720

Name:	221FB07C-22A4-41FD-B67E-2BC3007AFFD3.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	1085722

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              You are totally burying some awesome food in these threads 👍👍👍

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh wow! You've got the magic touch. That looks great.

That looks really good. Nice job my friend!

Comment

Name:	DBB191D3-2E07-4174-8DA2-6502FCBD52D7.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	1111470 Click image for larger version

Name:	321C6BB6-0ACB-47D1-9906-BB0448375779.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	1111471

Comment

Back at this again. Two 5# chucks on my BGE this morning at 8:30. Dinner planned at 6:00 pm. Pictures and notes to follow. They’re in the stall right now and headed to the DO in an hour.
                Last edited by TimmyR; December 20, 2021, 09:23 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Cook completed pretty-much on-time. I think the meat could've used a bit longer for the second smoke after shredding but it was tasty. This makes really good carnitas.

Here's a link to to cook for those interested.

Salted two 5 pound chucks yesterday afternoon. Rubbed with BABR at 8:00 am when I lit fire. Let roasts sit on counter until put on BGE. Overall cook time was about 11 hours. Next time allow for 30 more mins for second smoke. Generally followed this recipe from The Pit Forum https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/recipes-technique-food-cooking/beef-recipes/718607-pb’s-pulled-chuck#post1145364

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks great!

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice looking cook. Congrats!

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here