Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Change Of Pace Roast Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Change Of Pace Roast Recipe

I thought I’d share this roast recipe I found on YouTube, it looked to be pretty darn good, as all of the ingredients sound like they’d mesh together pretty well, plus the video looked to be killer! There’s a guy I recently discovered called @pepperbellypete, he’s on several internet places, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Twitter. I really like his style on the TikTok videos, they’re short and to the point. He shows the entire cook and all ingredients in less than a minute. I’ll add a link which shows his cook. He calls it “Best Pot Roast Ever.” We’ll see…..🧐 The recipe calls for cooking in a crockpot.

SERVES 4-6

COOKWARE USED:
    Cast Iron Dutch Oven
    Crockpot / Slow Cooker

INGREDIENTS
    1 4 lb Chuck roast
    2 tbs of cooking oil
    Montreal Steak Seasoning
    1/2 stick of butter
    1 large yellow onion
    3 cups of diced carrots
    1 16 oz jar of sliced pepperoncini peppers
    1 packet of dried beef stew seasoning
    1 packet of Au jus gravy mix
    1 packet of Ranch Dressing
    1 15 oz can of tomato sauce

PREPERATION:
    Sprinkle the roast liberally with Montreal Steak Seasoning, add the oil to a CI Dutch oven and heat over medium high. When hot, brown the roast and remove to a plate. Add the butter, onions and carrots to the Dutch oven. Sautée for 5 minutes, then add all remaining ingredients except for the roast. Add the entire jar of pepperoncinis including the liquid. Stir and simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes. Add your roast to the crockpot and pour all the liquid mixture on top of the roast. Cook on high for 8 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. Cornbread and green beans would go great with this dish!

Special note: I was short on time and cooked it at 350* for 3 hours in my CI Dutch oven. After eating it, I recommend using only 1/3 of the pepperoncinis and juice from the jar. While it was still very good, I found the flavor from the juice and peppers was a little overpowering. Here’s a link to the recipe I used.

Click image for larger version  Name:	61F4A1D2-2BEB-4348-80C5-B11D1ABBBD06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	1370955
    Click image for larger version  Name:	9BEC0DBD-1F8B-473A-B0C5-F3086862BAAB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	1370953
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8C83080F-4637-4077-9D28-81E712E095B2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1370952
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CE58836D-02AA-4C91-9833-6FB7CC032C14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.97 MB ID:	1370951
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7273A2F8-4D9A-4517-9242-8CA4F93EB2CB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	1370950

While I definitely enjoyed the roast and its gravy, I highly recommend using only 1/3 of the jar of pepperoncini peppers and its juice, instead of the full jar, as mentioned in the recipe. I’d just add about 1/2 cup of beef broth in its place.
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 1, 2023, 10:15 PM.

Panhead John Since you often correct others on their spelling I thought I would help you out. It is PREPARATION, not preperation. yur wellcumb.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Good catch! I will occasionally misspell a word on purpose, just to see if anyone notices…….😏

Looks great, very much like the “Mississippi pot roast” recipes that were hung around for a while. All good.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I actually made one posted by Panhead John! As best I can tell without looking it up, this one adds onion, carrot, Montreal seasoning, and the tomato sauce.

I agree with his assessment of the pepperoncinis. I don’t think they add anything, and you can comfortably leave them out.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, they are similar, and also this one adds a packet of stew seasoning, which the Mississippi pot roast doesn’t. Clawbear57 As Mosca said, You could leave out the pepperoncinis entirely and it would still be good.
      Last edited by Panhead John; February 2, 2023, 01:43 PM.

• acorgihouse
      acorgihouse commented
      Editing a comment
      I came here to say same, it is very much like the standard Mississippi Pot Roast that is all over the Crockpot and Instant Pot recipe sites. It usually has just ranch dressing mix, pepperoncinis, and some sort of gravy mix. I've never tried, didn't appeal to me, but this sounds like a more rounded dish. Thanks!

Saved in paprika and forwarded to the owner of the crockpot.
    Thanks John

Comment

How salty was the gravy? Those prepared mixes are so high in salt content, and are generally intended to be used alone. Just wondering.

If on the edge of too salty, I could always switch out the Montreal Steak seasoning for Meathead's salt-free BBBR.

Sure looks like a deliciously quick recipe, something that I'm in search of. Thanks, PJ.

Kathryn

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc To me, it wasn’t too salty, but YMMV. I lean towards liking salt a little too much though. Your idea of the BBBR might be a good one for a first attempt.

Got gifted a Dutch Oen so will add this to my bucket list
      Doubt I will find pepperoncinis in this neck of the woods any other pepper you'd recommend

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        will do
        Going out to sell a kidney now so I can buy a 2 lb roast of some kind

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        It is stew...can you just use kidney?!?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Your right cut out the middle man, now that its out I'll just huck my kidney into the DO....

That looks good,
      I would not turn that down.

Comment

omit the carrots and you've got something going on there

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here